400 Calories over :(

Options
And I'm just too tired to work out!
I have a niggling headache which will go full blown if I work out!
And it's my 3yo birthday tomorrow so naturally going to be super busy!!

My calorie allowance is 1200 and I've been just under that every day since the 1st Jan (I eat about 1500 but it's around 1200 after a workout)

Is 400 calories a lot or does it just sound a lot?
Will it affect my weight loss in any way?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't worry about 400 calories. You're already eating at a deficit. The worst that will happen is you lose, for example, 1.5lb this week, as opposed to the 1.75lb you might have otherwise.

Log it, move on and congratulate yourself for being honest!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Phew thanks!
    Did feel slightly disheartened as I've really managed to stick at it on days I've not wanted to so I've been doing very well these past 10 days and didn't want to lose momentum!
    But some days, you just have to accept and give in I guess!

Thanks for your response, glad it won't affect me too much!

I wonder how many calories I burn looking after a toddler
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Don't make a habit of it. Move on. Will it affect your progress? Yes because weight loss and weight gain revolve around calorie consumption and calories burned.

What are your stats if you don't mind answering? A lot of people choose 1200 calories because they think it's some kind of magic number to lose weight. Fact is, that's too low for a large number of people.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200, you probably have an ample deficit. Eating 400 over for one day isn't going to hurt you.

I think it's important to realize early on that you're not going to be perfect every single day. This doesn't mean you should stop trying to be, but it means when it happens you let it go and keep on going.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I'm hoping this is the last I start MFP!
    I just want to keep it going from now seeing as I have the motivation! Then soon it will just become habit and part of my life!

Atleast I know I don't have to worry about a rest day!
  • wandalula
    wandalula Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't make a habit of it. Move on. Will it affect your progress? Yes because weight loss and weight gain revolve around calorie consumption and calories burned.

What are your stats if you don't mind answering? A lot of people choose 1200 calories because they think it's some kind of magic number to lose weight. Fact is, that's too low for a large number of people.

You said that people "choose" 1200 calories. when I put in my info, the plan chose 1200 for me, I assume based on how much i want to lose and how active I am etc, but how do I figure out what I should really be eating? Just figured I'd ask if there's a different way. thanks
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Chasing a toddler around burns tons of calories, so you probably aren't eating enough. So enjoy, and don't stress it :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wandalula wrote: »

You said that people "choose" 1200 calories. when I put in my info, the plan chose 1200 for me, I assume based on how much i want to lose and how active I am etc, but how do I figure out what I should really be eating? Just figured I'd ask if there's a different way. thanks

You can find several TDEE calculators online (Scooby's is popular). Once you know your TDEE, choose a daily deficit that aligns with your goals for weight loss/gain, etc.

The fact is, people try and be to aggressive a lot of times with their deficit to lose weight too quickly. However, without knowing your stats and activity levels, I wouldn't be able to yell you if 1200 calories is a reasonable deficit for you or not.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you eat in a 500 calorie deficit every day you should lose a pound per week. So if you went over by 400 one day and kept the deficit for the rest of the week you would have a 2600 calorie total deficit instead of 3500. So you would lose less but still lose.

OK course we all know it isn't that clean and linear but you get the point. Rest easy and don't make it a habit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    wandalula wrote: »

They choose it by the goals they set more often then not. Often, it is because people set their weight loss per week goal too high. Unless a person is very obese 2 pounds a week is likely too aggressive, yet most people even with less weight to lose will select 2 pounds per week.