Binge Eating Recovery

Options
Hey everyone, so a little background on me. Started my fitness journey 2 yrs and lost 130 LBS (315-185). And recently been struggling losing more body fat and have been hungry often. I had a really really bad binge today and was wondering if anyone could provide any help. Feeling depressed and like a failure.

Replies

• FunkJunkie394
    FunkJunkie394 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend! Congrats on your HUGE loss!

I have struggled with binging and bulimia my whole life so I feel you. Being involved with Overeaters Anonymous has helped me very much. Send me a message if you have any questions or would like to talk more.
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend! Congrats on your HUGE loss!

I have struggled with binging and bulimia my whole life so I feel you. Being involved with Overeaters Anonymous has helped me very much. Send me a message if you have any questions or would like to talk more.

I was considering OA but I'm hesitant. What do you like about it? Thanks!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Anything like OA is great for support. My therapist has suggested it and I just haven't made the time to go to it, but he said it helped him.

130 pounds is fantastic!!!!
  • FunkJunkie394
    FunkJunkie394 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

When I go I find the people in the room have all been to those dark places I have been to with food. It means a lot to me that they understand me, and we can be honest with each other (anonymous). The concept of food 'abstinence' had worked very well for me to help me lessen my binge severity and frequency.

• jnananamaste
    Options

When I go I find the people in the room have all been to those dark places I have been to with food. It means a lot to me that they understand me, and we can be honest with each other (anonymous). The concept of food 'abstinence' had worked very well for me to help me lessen my binge severity and frequency.

Thanks for your input.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What everyone said above. Hugs
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Add me for a fellow binge eating support!
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, it truly means a lot
  • ljade82
    ljade82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have had group therapy for binge eating disorder through the local health service.

The therapy was based on a self-help book called Overcoming Binge Eating by Christopher Fairburn, which I would highly recommend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Are you using cognitive/behavioral techniques to deal with sabotaging thoughts and behaviors? This book on CBT for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • jnananamaste
    Options
    ljade82 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have had group therapy for binge eating disorder through the local health service.

The therapy was based on a self-help book called Overcoming Binge Eating by Christopher Fairburn, which I would highly recommend.

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to look this up.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SO. Much. This.

This book was recommended to me my some on here and I am so glad that I picked it up. I have been in recovery for quite a few years now, but that book has been the perfect tool (and reminder).
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are you using cognitive/behavioral techniques to deal with sabotaging thoughts and behaviors? This book on CBT for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)