First time gym attendee

Options
Hi everyone,
I signed up for a gym membership after 2 years of fretting about it. Any advice for a first timer at a gym? I don't want to inconvenience anyone or do things wrong! :/

Replies

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Get a session with a personal trainer so you'll have an idea of what to do. It might cost a bit but you only need one session to get a basic workout started.

Make sure you spray and wipe down the equipment when you're done using it . Also, don't let the weights touch until you're done your set -- the loud noise is annoying and it's very bad form. Those are just about the only things you can do wrong.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Real talk . . . gym goers do not want to smell you (good or bad, no cologne or repeated workout clothes) or hear you, no having a long conversation while repeating things on your cell because its too loud or the reception is poor or even having a long conversation with person next to you unless it is about exercise :)

Other than that, you are just one of the crowd, don't be nervous we all started at some point and if you think anyone notices you are nervous or seem out of place - we are just happy you are there and hope you keep coming back as long as you are not doing the things above.

Good luck!
  • Muldoon432
    Muldoon432 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Google search "gym etiquette" and you will come up with a lot of good lists. If you don't know anything about the equipment or weights the one time personal trainer idea is a good one. If you are thinking about exercise classes, just watch one first and you will get the idea and enough info to join in the back. Most of the work in the gym is getting to the gym - so don't be discouraged - just get there and ease into it.

• Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If it's anything like my gym I dont advise going at peak hour, Its busy and you may get in people's way

This is bad for two reasons, 1. Will piss them off, 2. You might feel self conscious about it and De motivate yourself

Going outside of peak means less people and usually the ones that are there will offer advise of lend a hand if you don't know an exercise or need a spot

YouTube can help alot on exercise ideas and form, otherwise a PT can help to get an idea/work out a gym regime

Add me if you want to chat about stuff, I'm not the greatest, I too was once new to the gym scene and walked in having no idea what I was doing