When should I eat my last meal???

Options
How may hours before bed should I have my last meal? I have been eating my last meal right before bed which I'm sure is not good

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Eat when you want to.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How may hours before bed should I have my last meal? I have been eating my last meal right before bed which I'm sure is not good

It doesn't matter as to wight loss when you eat your last meal.

It's only bad if eating right before bed interferes with sleep or gives you stomach upset.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. I am going to eat a peanut butter sandwich five minutes from now and then head to bed. It will not adversely affect my weight loss because I will be within my calorie budget for the day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want.
  • loveconquersall3400
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful info everyone!!!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've been having sleep issues lately and I believe they are tied to possibly carb intake before bed and blood sugar spikes so I am trying to put a halt to eating past 8pm so I can wake up hungry for a small breakfast too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I have my last snack shortly before I go to bed. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I can't eat a full meal right before bed only for the reason that I'll wake up feeling bloated and awful. Snacks seem ok, though...I just had popcorn a little bit ago, and planning to turn in soon.
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is personal choice, I personally follow an intermittent fast schedule daily. I started at 16:8 which has naturally become 18:6 (clearly what my body likes). I finish my eating window at 7pm so I go to bed feeling comfortably like I haven't just eaten.
    I'm not advocating that this works for everyone, but it suits me.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    The only reason I wait 2 hours before I head to bed after my last meal is acid reflux. Waking up to a mouthful of acid in the middle of the night and stabbing pain in the stomach isn't very conducive to feeling rested in the morning.

This said, when you eat has little to no influence on weight-loss. So if you're hungry right before bed and still have the calorie budget for a snack and no digestive troubles that might cause sleep problems, go for it. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when your last hungry ....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter for weight loss when you eat. If you have a digestive or sleep issues it may matter.

Personally I stop eating for the day about 9 PM... about 2-3 hours before I go to bed. It isn't a rule just how things go.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Someone please post the pyramid diagram.

Meal timing does not matter.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't cause sleep issues, there is no reason not to eat past a certain time. IMO, the sleep issues are typically more about the food choice instead of time, as well, so you could just eat a different type of food and likely be OK.

In the bodybuilding world, many people drink a slow digesting protein shake (casein/milk protein) or eat some protein before bed. Some even get up in the middle of the night and have a small meal. This is thought to preserve muscle mass and help with recovery.

So, whether or not you subscribe to the muscle mass thing, eating at night is not going to make you fat or turn you into a Gremlin...