Protein Shake hack?

Options
Trying to gain more protein in my diet. I've always had a difficult time with protein shakes. The consistency and taste was never for me.

I love Quest bars so I just tried their whey protein powder. It was bad but I mixed it with 8 ounces of water and an enlightened bar (of same flavor) and found it to have a much closer taste and consistency to a real shake.

All together it's 180 calories. 28 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar.

I recommend it!

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    My hack is to buy the premade ones. They taste awesome
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i couldn't when i first came across whey. tasted pre-digested to me, but soy makes me feel chemically weird and that wasn't an option either. so my original solution was to drown that barf aura in plain unsweetened yogurt.

then i needed a handful of fruit to tame the sourness of the yogurt, and that more or less seems to work. now i'm working on killing a lifelong banana aversion with strawberries and canned pineapple, but idk so much about this one. it might take me a while.
  • gracemaryx
    gracemaryx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Put it in a blender with 250ml skim milk, a few ice and can even add in a banana! It does raise the carb content but totally worth it. Makes it cold and sweet and thick :-)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always mix my shakes with nonfat milk (Fairlife). The taste and texture with milk (even nonfat milk) is 100x better than water. And the extra protein from the milk is an added plus.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No matter what, protein shakes just are not that satiating in a liquid (8oz or so) form. A common hack is to make a pudding like texture ("sludge") by adding in small amounts of water & stirring until desired consistency. Some will use fats (olive oil, peanut butter, almond butter, etc.) instead of water as the solvent based on individual diet/macro goal (I find olive oil followed by a small amount of water makes a very good pudding like consistency).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    Trying to gain more protein in my diet. I've always had a difficult time with protein shakes. The consistency and taste was never for me.

I love Quest bars so I just tried their whey protein powder. It was bad but I mixed it with 8 ounces of water and an enlightened bar (of same flavor) and found it to have a much closer taste and consistency to a real shake.

All together it's 180 calories. 28 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar.

I recommend it!

I hate protein powders with water, taste terrible. I do it with milk or almond milk and they are much thicker. And I regularly have used the quest version. Also, you can go onto quest website and they have shake recipes if you like.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Light almond or soya milk is great if you prefer thicker shakes.
  • RhysT28
    RhysT28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mutipower has a great taste and is smooth not grainy like some powders. Rich chocolate is the best flavour. If you use a blender and whack a banana in, that can thicken the texture up too
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do greek yogurt. Like this morning is PB2, mini chocolate morsels, 8 oz greek yogurt and birthday cake whey. I make pancakes with it. If I'm in a pinch I do vanilla soymilk and protein powder in blender.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I use EAS whey protein powder for my shakes. 1.5 scoops of vanilla, 1 cup 2% milk, a banana and a pinch of good cinnamon. Or, 1 scoop of chocolate, 1 cup of 2% milk a banana and a tbsp. of peanut butter. Both are quick and yummy. I don't add ice because I do not like things too cold, but you probably could. As it is, these are very creamy if you blend them long enough. The banana helps.