Downhill skiing and recomp

Kind of an odd and really specific question, but I'm going on a ski trip for five days this weekend. I'm an aggressive skiier and have skied since I was three and do mostly blacks and love moguls. I'm in the middle of a recomp and eat at maintenance on days I do strength training and at a deficit on days I don't or where I only do cardio.
So, my question is, during my trip should I eat at maintenance or a deficit? Is skiing more cardio or strength training? If it's cardio, I'm assuming a deficit, if its strength I'm assuming maintenance.

Replies

• jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Someone please answer!:)
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm a snowboarder but never get out to the slopes, they're far away and I can't afford the trip. I would say skiing is more cardio, it's about 400 calories per hour and I know snowboarding makes me sweat. I'd say try for a small (0.5 lb/wk) deficit but make sure you get enough calories for the exercise.

I'd budget more calories for breakfast, something about winter sports makes me hungry in the morning :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maintenance.

5 days makes no difference in the long run though. Stop over thinking EVERYTHING and enjoy your holiday
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    I'd say it's cardio, but it also burns a lot of calories since you'll be skiing all day (minus the downtime in the lifts). So I'd say just a light deficit but make sure you eat back some of the exercise calories to fuel your body, because it'll need it.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    If you were to log it in MFP I would bet that it would be under the Cardio tab so go with that? Worst case scenario you eat at or near maintenance while being active and maintain. Best case you aid in your recomp. I don't think it will set you back at any rate.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    You would be getting more cardio than strength training, you are not going to be building muscle while skiing. Yes your muscles will be sore, because they will be working hard, mostly because you will be using muscles to turn and stabilize that don't get trained very often.
    I wouldn't eat at deficit, you will be hungry and need the energy. Eat slightly above and enjoy the trip.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    It's cardio but please relax a little!
    Enjoy your holiday, it's only five days out of the rest of your life.
    It's simply not a big deal if you end up over, under or perfect maintenance.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Its cardio and you will be burning some serious calories, so I wouldn't worry too much about your plan, just make good choices and keep within your maintenance. You are going on a vacation and will be continuing to be active, so just go out there and enjoy your shred!! Hope you get 5 days of powder pal!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Eat what you want, drink what you want and have a great time. When you come back, you can resume your normal routine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Skiing down hills = rest. Skiing up hills = cardio.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    Eat at maintenance or as close to it as you can. Starve your ski trip so you can have less energy and enjoy it less? I don't think so!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    It's a vacation, right? Eat at maintenance, for heaven's sake! Maybe above - it's a few days. ;)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Do whatever you want Why don't you eat at maintenance and ski?