Proof the scale is a bad tool for measuring progress.

Options
2»

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A couple of people are missing the point and maybe I should have titled it different. I was posting this for people who use the scale too often and get discouraged about fluctuations in water weight.

Sorry for the bad thread title. I suck at titles.

No worries. My scale also estimates body fat %. It's not completely accurate, but I use it for trend information, too. I occasionally take my measurements, but I think that method for me is the most inaccurate method because I'm not sure I'm using the same place and the same tension, etc. Even subconsciously, I can cheat with the measuring tape in a way I never could on the scale.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A couple of people are missing the point and maybe I should have titled it different. I was posting this for people who use the scale too often and get discouraged about fluctuations in water weight.

No worries. My scale also estimates body fat %. It's not completely accurate, but I use it for trend information, too. I occasionally take my measurements, but I think that method for me is the most inaccurate method because I'm not sure I'm using the same place and the same tension, etc. Even subconsciously, I can cheat with the measuring tape in a way I never could on the scale.

Good point!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Good point!

I hate measuring my hips and butt the way some people hate getting on the scale. I'm a pretty low weight, but my lower body is where my body likes to hold weight no matter what I do. I guess I could establish a reference point, say, six inches down from my hip bone or something, and but I guess I don't really want to know.
  • sgk0411
    sgk0411 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    lol I'm laying off the scale for a little bit. I got freaked out when it went from 149-150 in a day so i've decided to lay off the scale. I drink a lot of water and don't eat garbage so i think thats it. Even people who haven't seen me in a while think i've lost some. scale can bounce around plenty. its more about how I feel than what it says. This coming from someone who used to weigh 222 and now is down to 149-ish
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    lol I'm laying off the scale for a little bit. I got freaked out when it went from 149-150 in a day so i've decided to lay off the scale. I drink a lot of water and don't eat garbage so i think thats it. Even people who haven't seen me in a while think i've lost some. scale can bounce around plenty. its more about how I feel than what it says. This coming from someone who used to weigh 222 and now is down to 149-ish

Awesome progress!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good tool to me. Showed added weight, showed lost weight. Working as intended.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Seems like a good tool to me. Showed added weight, showed lost weight. Working as intended.

LOL...Good points.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I weighed myself constantly. The scale was in my bathroom so each time I walked in there I felt the need to weigh myself once again - and would fret over the little changes. I was becoming obsessed! One morning I just became tired of it so I moved the scale into a spare bedroom that isn't being used right now. My clothes become looser day by day are enough to show me that I'm on the right track.
  • amandarama_
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it's nice to see that every fluctuates just as much.

In the past week, due to a few different factors, I've seen an 8lb gain because I'm retaining so much extra water. At one point, it was even up 11.5lbs from my normal weight. As someone who weighs myself daily (some days a couple times), I've decided that it's time to get rid of the scale for one month. I'm excited about this!
  • Aylawade
    Aylawade Posts: 22
    Options
    I also found similar to be true, but I still weigh myself daily. I use the bathroom and immediately use the scale (in the nude so that clothes don't make it inaccurate) and take note of my weight daily. I find this works well for me.
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Agreed here the scale can fluctuate so much. Eating and drinking water really do add about 3 pounds for me. I have let it get to me in the past, but now I know exactly what is causing me to weigh more and that actually gaining 3 pounds of fat is pretty much impossible in such a short amount of time. I'm glad I've been tracking my measurements. I only get weighed when I go to the doctor, but overall I have lost 16 pounds....or 2 inches off my chest, 1 inch off my waist, 3 inches off my hips, and 4 inches off of my butt! If this trend continues I'll be hourglass shaped. :o