H.I.I.T Workout

Options
Hey!

I'm sure there are some who recognize what HIIT means. For those who do not, it's "High intensity interval training"

I honestly hate doing cardio such as running, jogging ect but I do have some fat I want to lose. Is doing HIIT a better alternative instead of a consistent cardio routine? For example I tried sprinting 30 seconds on the tred then walking for 30 seconds. I do this repetitively for 10 minutes. Will this help me lose weight? Opposed to running a average pace mile? What are some HIIT exercises you've seen results with?

Help a girl out :) - Looking for friends too! Add me <3

Replies

• Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Yes, HIIT is definitely the way to go. HIIT elevates your heart rate much more than jogging for distance. The science behind that benefit is that once you get your heart rate close to your max (assuming you are not working around any cardiovascular issues), your heart continues to work harder throughout the day. Therefore, even if you don't burn as many calories in 10 minutes as you would running for 45 or so, you will continue to burn more calories throughout the entire rest of your day.

There are plenty of ways to boost your HIIT workout, such as doing hard work for longer intervals with shorter rest intervals, or increasing your workout time as you become more fit. Personally I still like to dedicate a few days to a long jog to burn lots of calories (especially if I know I'm going out to dinner later that day or something), but I never started seeing a difference in my body until I started doing HIIT training. It's definitely a metabolic booster!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Will this help me lose weight? Opposed to running a average pace mile?

You lose weight as a result of being in calorie deficit, so I'm taking it that what you're getting at is which burns more calories.

Steady state running for 10 minutes, compared to running for 5 and walking for 5 will burn more. The interval running will burn about 75-80% of the number of calories that steady state will burn.

All the woo about afterburn effect is nonsensical.
  • Spartan1230
    Spartan1230 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If your not into the running aspect of the intervals, try walking on the treadmill at steep inclines, 15% at 2.5,3 or a little higher speed for about 4 min intervals. Easier on the knees and will get that heart rate up.
  • iServant
    iServant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HIIT all the way. It's tougher but perfect if you don't enjoy doing cardio for long periods. I find Spin Bikes a great way to do HIIT.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cardio then don't do it.
    Create your calorie deficit by decreasing your calorie intake rather than increasing your expenditure.
  • thekingofthenorth1
    Options
    I have cold I'm very sick I wanna ask is it okay to workout (bodybuilding and running) I really need some help :s
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm getting over a cold here... I didn't run because it was very cold but I did go to the gym for lifting. I had aching muscles but I found I could lift my regular weights. Just be sure to spray down those machines if you work out at a gym though I'm sure you already do.

Another vote for HIIT as well. I do interval training for running and I have trouble pacing myself during the running stages (I guess I'm something of a sprinter) so going fast in short intervals works well for me. There is a lot of research in favor of HIIT as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Will this help me lose weight? Opposed to running a average pace mile?

You lose weight as a result of being in calorie deficit, so I'm taking it that what you're getting at is which burns more calories.

Steady state running for 10 minutes, compared to running for 5 and walking for 5 will burn more. The interval running will burn about 75-80% of the number of calories that steady state will burn.

All the woo about afterburn effect is nonsensical.

It's not necessarily woo, it's just over exaggerate. EPOC can account for about a 6-15% increase in EE. So if you do HIIT for 30 minutes and it burns 300 calories, you are talking a whopping 18-45 calories.. woot! :wink:

The larger benefit to HIIT is the reduction in time needed to complete an exercise routine, and HIIT has been shown to be beneficial to help retain muscle mass during weight loss. But you will only lose fat, if you control calories. Personally, I lift 4 days a week and do HIIT 2 days a week. I have a moderate deficit ~500 calories per day, and have my protein around 1g per lb of weight (a bit higher than needed but for satiety, it's great).
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have cold I'm very sick I wanna ask is it okay to workout (bodybuilding and running) I really need some help :s

Hi there -

I recently had to deal with this question myself (feeling sick sucks!), and decided to do a little bit of research. It appears that the consensus on whether or not it is okay to work out depends on where the illness is affecting your body and the severity. If your cold is from the neck up (sore throat, sinus issues, etc), then working out can boost your immune system. If your cold is on your chest (cough, fluid in lungs), then working out can make your cold worse. These however are just general guidelines and any cold where you feel "very sick" you will probably want to dedicate your time to getting better first.
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm sure there are some who recognize what HIIT means. For those who do not, it's "High intensity interval training"

I honestly hate doing cardio such as running, jogging ect but I do have some fat I want to lose. Is doing HIIT a better alternative instead of a consistent cardio routine? For example I tried sprinting 30 seconds on the tred then walking for 30 seconds. I do this repetitively for 10 minutes. Will this help me lose weight? Opposed to running a average pace mile? What are some HIIT exercises you've seen results with?

To compliment my weight training, i perform HIIT once or twice per week. I do it on my cardio days and perform HIIT for about 30 min of my 60 min cardio session. My goal is to keep my heart rate above 130 bpm for the entire 30 min session. It involves some functional moves, too. It works for me. Here's an example of what i do..

40 sec on, 20 sec off.

1) 60 sec jump rope warm up.
    2) Start - 40 sec speed rope.]
    3) Single Kettle Bell arm swings/grabs.
    4) Medicine Ball Slam
    5) Battle Ropes
    6) Weighted sled/box push
    7) Two arm kettle bell swing between legs
    8) 40 sec speed rope

I change it up so I don't get bored. Key is to keep the heart rate up for 30 min. The balance of my cardio session is elliptical or arc trainer on the front and back end of my HIIT session.

Hope that helps.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Hey!

No it's worse for your purposes. If you wanted to get ready for a race, HIIT would be great. But you're trying to burn calories. Spending 10 minutes in a workout when half of it is resting - doesn't burn many calories.

Lots of hype though!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training, http://www.americankinesiology.org/AcuCustom/Sitename/Documents/DocumentItem/2128.pdf, google "anaerobic capacity". Your routine is not likely HIIT.
    Is doing HIIT a better alternative instead of a consistent cardio routine?
    No unless your are fine tuning/peaking for "A" competition. Back when I was racing collegiate, I dabbled with Tabata regimen. The sessions was around 30 minutes and tough but did very little from overall fitness point of view. My upper end, sprints, increased slightly (capped around 40mph from about 200 meters but my long sprints suffered). However, the fatigue generated by the workouts did more harm than good for my overall racing fitness. Probably would have made a difference if I was serious and racing at or above regional caliber but I was only doing this for fun.
    For example I tried sprinting 30 seconds on the tred then walking for 30 seconds. I do this repetitively for 10 minutes. Will this help me lose weight? Opposed to running a average pace mile? What are some HIIT exercises you've seen results with?
    Maybe but better than nothing. Nothing structure but on weekly group rides (cycling), I'll hit my anaerobic capacity on finish sprints, bridging a gap, powering through a roller/cresting a hill, etc. I have about 5 such matches when rested. Structure-wise, my training center around VO2 Max for high intensity from 3 to 8 minutes intervals 7 to 4 repeat with 1:1 to 1:0.5 work to rest ratio, respectively. Rest of the time it is mostly at endurance pace for ~80 minutes total session. If I had just ridden at mid tempo the entire way, I would have been 10%-20% ahead as far as calories count. I do 2 sessions a week for about 3 weeks straight to push my function threshold power and fatigue resistance before returning to extensive sessions (8-12 week block) to increase power at duration. I can do two such intensive mesocycle per year.