Costing a lot more money to eat healthier! :(

Options
1235»

Replies

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Meat prices where I am in the US have gone up, and I'm finding sales to be more scarce. Sometimes we have the option to buy meat in the bulk packs and that saves some money. We portion it out and freeze what we aren't going to use before the "sell by" date.

We eat a lot of London Broil because it tends to go on sale A LOT and is frequently BOGO. I'm not a big fish person so I couldn't begin to tell you the prices on that until Lent (and it will be on sale then anyhow to get stores to boost sales).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Beef prices suck where I live. A butcher will average $6-12/lb for choice stuff. If you want the Select cuts they sell in the grocery stores, you can find KC Strips, Ribeyes, etc. on average $6-$8 a pound. Rare occasions we can find strip steaks on sale $4.99 a pound which is good, but honestly looking at protein content, calories, I gravitate over to chicken or pork tenderloins frequently, especially in the winter. In the summer I'll eat more pork and beef, but chicken and turkey are king in our family budget.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Beef prices suck where I live. A butcher will average $6-12/lb for choice stuff. If you want the Select cuts they sell in the grocery stores, you can find KC Strips, Ribeyes, etc. on average $6-$8 a pound. Rare occasions we can find strip steaks on sale $4.99 a pound which is good, but honestly looking at protein content, calories, I gravitate over to chicken or pork tenderloins frequently, especially in the winter. In the summer I'll eat more pork and beef, but chicken and turkey are king in our family budget.

I have no idea where you live but are there local beef share options in your area? My in-laws buy a quarter share every few months from a local hobby farmer and the cost breaks down to around $3lb after processing-that's for steaks, ground beef etc. And then I mosey on over and raid their freezer :D

eta: here's a couple search options to find what's in your area-
    http://www.eatwild.com/products/
    http://www.localharvest.org/organic-farms/
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where you live but are there local beef share options in your area? My in-laws buy a quarter share every few months from a local hobby farmer and the cost breaks down to around $3lb after processing-that's for steaks, ground beef etc. And then I mosey on over and raid their freezer :D

I occasionally get lucky. One of the people I work with is also a farmer and raises cows. He'll typically slaughter a few each year and offer us pretty decent prices on hamburger and some steaks/cuts. This year it was all 85/15 hamburger and I was able to get it at $2.50 a pound which is pretty darn cheap for this area. My freezer will only hold about 25 lb though. I can buy sides or half sides of beef in my area but I don't have the room for a deep freeze. So I stick with chicken/turkey on a regular basis.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am from the uk and this was my main point is that the price of eating healthier is more expensive. Fresh vegetables are no doubt very cheap but when it comes to buying meat and fish then it is very expensive!
    We do eat the same meals some days but I will substitute something I don't want like potatoes (I don't want a lot of carbs) for something else.
    Also I'm eating pretty much fish & meat everyday (which is expensive where I live), this is something iv chose todo, my family members will have the same as I or sometimes they will indulge in pizza, chips etc but this is something I'm trying to cut back on hence why I have been buying separate meals!

Are you having meat/fish as the main part of your meal(s) then? If so, that is your perogative - but that doesn't make healthy food expensive, that makes your diet unbalanced. A normal dinner has starch and vegs, and just a moderate amount of protein (which can be meat, fish, eggs or beans). Even low carbers balance their meat with vegetables.
  • kayleexbabeex
    kayleexbabeex Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I am from the uk and this was my main point is that the price of eating healthier is more expensive. Fresh vegetables are no doubt very cheap but when it comes to buying meat and fish then it is very expensive!
    We do eat the same meals some days but I will substitute something I don't want like potatoes (I don't want a lot of carbs) for something else.
    Also I'm eating pretty much fish & meat everyday (which is expensive where I live), this is something iv chose todo, my family members will have the same as I or sometimes they will indulge in pizza, chips etc but this is something I'm trying to cut back on hence why I have been buying separate meals!

Are you having meat/fish as the main part of your meal(s) then? If so, that is your perogative - but that doesn't make healthy food expensive, that makes your diet unbalanced. A normal dinner has starch and vegs, and just a moderate amount of protein (which can be meat, fish, eggs or beans). Even low carbers balance their meat with vegetables.

I already stated I eat vegetables or salad with it and that iv cut back/down on carbs not that iv quit them altogether
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replys and tips, and for those who are asking why am I eating different to my family members, here is what I meant.

A low carb diet is not necessary to be healthy. If you want to eat a low carb diet that is a choice not a requirement.
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/45-budget-friendly-low-carb-recipes/
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I got caught in that trap. Now I find it a lot cheaper esp since I've eliminated meat and dairy and fast food. I shop my sales flyer. By produce on sale. I stay away from most of the items in the "health food" aisle. Stopped drinking soda except for occasional flavored seltzer which is like half the price of other sodas. Don't fear buying canned or frozen. I keep my eating routine and recipes simple as possible.