Body fat calculator?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I hope the Fat2Fit estimate is more accurate as it puts me about 2% lower than my scale this morning. I've noticed that often as I lose weight my bf increases according to my scale but I don't really see that I could have lost enough muscle in one week to warrant a 1.5% fat increase. Really with I could get measured properly.

Why does it matter? How will it help you? Do you train women of different ages and lifestyles and know what bodyfats are normal for these people?

LIft weights intelligently, and eat in a caloric deficit (obviously). This is what brings results and has done for .. ever..
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I guess its mainly curiosity really and it would be nice to more accurately gauge my progress. In my opinion I am becoming (for want of a better term) skinny-fat and it would be nice to be able to tell if the exercises I am doing and my diet are adequately addressing what I feel is my problem. I take measurements but I'm quite obsessive about these things and measurements aren't quite enough for me lol.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    so, I've tried using a variety of formulas. I posted on this in a different thread but will repost here:
    42 yrs old
    5'4"
    I workout regularly, including strength training

Estimated body fat:
    29.0% according to the YMCA formula
    32.5% according to my bathroom scale
    36.8 according to the army formula
    37.5% according to the navy formula
    37.6% according to the USMC formula (damn bingo wings!)

I've lost 55 lbs over 2 years. I've also keep track of my bf metric over time:
    When I was 217 lbs, I was too scared to check
    When I was 200 lbs, my bf was somewhere between 37% (scale) and 47% (military formula)
    When I was 185 lbs, my bf was somewhere between 36% (scale) and 45% (military formula)
    When I was 170 lbs, my bf was somewhere between 34% (scale) and 41% (military formula)
    Now at 162 lbs, my bf is somewhere between 33% (scale) and 37% (military formula)

The scale would suggest my lean body mass has gone down from 126 to 108. The military formula would suggest that my LBM has gone down from 106 to 102. I was pretty sedentary a couple years ago before I started and have been doing strength work. I have also lost the weight rather slowly so, as much as I hate the higher number, I'm inclined to believe the military formula over my scale.

the calculators are here:
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html

When I look at the images in this thread, I do look closest to the 35% picture so I think that's right. I'd like to be in the upper 20s.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/958076-body-fat-percent-visuals
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

My doctor said the most accurate method was by immersion in water.

The most accurate method is a DXA scan.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've had a Tanita scale for several years. I can't say how accurate it is because I've never had a DXA scan or been weighed in water. I suspect, but do not know, that it underestimates my fat percentage a bit. I weigh myself under the same conditions each time and use it to track trends over time. If I go on a low-carb, high-protein diet, the scale usually shows a decline in body fat percentage.

I read an article once that said bio-impedance scales were pretty accurate. But that is disputed.

In short, such a scale is fine to use as a general guide.