Probiotics?

Options
What's your experience with them and do they work for stomach and constipation issues?

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about constipation, but they seem to get your stomach back in balance. What they do is replace the good bacteria in your gut, which helps to break down your food and aid in digestion. I either take them after finishing a round of antibiotics from being sick, or take them when I am having bloating and indigestion issues. It does seem to help after a while. I would not recommend taking them long term though. Also, you could eat yogurt as it naturally has probiotics. Also, from what I understand when you buy them make sure you buy the kind that needs refrigeration, I think it preserves the bacteria better then if it were sitting on a shelf, so you get more benefit from it.
  • plantbasedparty
    plantbasedparty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics daily and it, along with changes in my diet, has really helped with IBS symptoms and acid reflux. I've always had a really sensitive stomach and I found that probiotics have made one of the biggest differences.
    Fermented foods are also a great source of probiotics.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The other thing that most people don't take into account for constipation is digestive enzymes. Specifically, ones that have ox bile in them. Super Enzymes by NOW is a good one as is BioGest by Thorne. It is so common with people that are often constipated that it's caused by them not digesting their food well. Adding in digestive enzymes (at each meal when first starting them) can make a huge difference in terms of regulating the bowels. Magnesium will also regulate the bowels (although it's best to determine if it's a digestion issue first before adding this in). Probiotics will go a long way towards balancing gut flora (especially if one has had a lot of antibiotics or other health issues). 80% of the immune system is in the gut. Most diseases begin as a result of an imbalance of gut flora. So yes, probiotics are well worth it! If you like fermented foods, that is a great (and cheap!) way to get probiotics. Be careful to not eat more then 1/4 cup of fermented foods at a time or you could be in for a rough ride and lots of bathroom time! Raw fermented is what is needed for decent food based probiotics. Yogurt that they've added probiotics to are not going to do much for your. So, raw sauerkraut, raw yogurt, kimchi, etc. are good sources.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    some of the fringe hippie-dippie ideas about gut bacteria affecting mood and all other stuff in the body are now becoming more widely accepted. Stuff like "leaky gut." I really don't know if a healthy gut biome is that important but it makes sense that it would contribute greatly to your overall health.

There is one fringe theory that I heard about gut bacteria that I especially like to think is true. It makes a bit of sense. It goes like this: The "bad" gut bacteria that live and can take over your gut biome like to digest sugar. If you eat a lot of sugar, these bacteraia will thrive. These "bad" bacteria will communicate with your brain/body through some kind of signal and make you crave more sugar/ simple carbs that can be converted to sugar. So on it goes you become a sugar craving maniac controlled by your gut. The good bacteria will make you want more nutritious food and get you to crave those more.

maybe that is true, maybe not but I drink kombucha, have yogurt sometimes and have a briobiotic in my smoothie once or twice a week. I have 0 problems with digestion
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Likewise, I have no idea about constipation. Probiotics are a group of products which set out to provide the microbes many of us have lost through various poor choices. The microbes in our gut are now being linked into our immune system and "general well being" which I suppose could include resolution of constipation, but again I don't know. Unfortunately using none selective antibiotics which kill beneficial and problematical microbes at the same time, enabling an imbalance towards the least helpful microbes which love sugar, which can tilt one into having a diet heavy in additional sugar perpetuating the imbalance. Not eating regularly and relying overly on pre-prepared meals of any kind can also contribute to a lesser microbe level than optimum.

You could, as mentioned use a natural live yogurt. Many of the over the counter products contain substances other than the simple microbes, which are not helpful to everyone. I can't eat many veg and fruits, being salicylate sensitive, so the range with flavours would have only made my conditions worse. I eventually found a range which was also helpful to histamine intolerant persons being microbes and little else, there is a UK brand and a US one as far as I know. Neither of these need refrigeration, understanding and production have improved.

You could try using psylium husks or ground flax seeds for additional fibre both have other health benefits too. Porridge oats also could have a place, in that they contain soluble fibre which is often more beneficial. Ensuring you are adequately hydrated will also help. There are so many different causes of constipation. Its a question of "what works for you", unfortunately.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use them daily either by pill form or by drinking kombucha and they just digestion.

I give them to my daughter daily and a high quality one was one of the only things that helped her constant constipation issues.
  • sandye71
    sandye71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started taking yesterday. I really hope it works. I suffer from constipation and it's a miserable feeling.