How many grams in a cup or bowl?

Options
13»

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That is why it irritates me when MFP calorie measurements are are listed by "bowl", "cup" or "serving"I can't get a proper measurement wighoit an actual weight!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ETA: ARG! I FELL FOR IT! KITTEN POOP!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,611 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Are we talking about a bowl of fat or muscle?

I know I'm a bit late on this but I was going to make that same joke!
  • taffpike669
    taffpike669 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stop.obsessing with the bowl a BOWL ISN'T A UNIT OF MEASUREMENT. full stop.

If you read you'll find we are replying to the poster that reopened the thread who believes a bowl is an actual measure.

Yes, I reopened the thread and I FULLY UNDERSTAND that there is no such measure as a bowl, however, the APP shows the serving size as a bowl! that is the point!!!!!!!! (It shouldn't) that is why people ask this question the numerous times that they have. After all, a cup is an American measurement! The teaspoon, the tablespoon are others that people use, so who knows maybe in myfitnesspal land so is a bowl? Just like if Jewsons had an app that told you to use a calf of wood, people would ask who's calf? What is it in inches or centimeters?

When I wrote: "I'd have thought the people at myfitnesspal would have got this right, or is the size of the bowl, or portion in the said bowl only available to premium subscribers?" I wasn't asking if this is a measurement only available to subscribers, it was sarcasm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

a) this is a zombie thread.
    b) you haven't clarified anything because the OP, who posted a year ago, didn't say what she was measuring a bowl OF, so there's no better answer than she got, because a "bowl" doesn't have a conversion to weight, at all, ever. All you've done is prove the point of the multiple posts which say those entries are useless.

You're missing the point completely, it may be a zombie thread; the person who posted it didn't post many times, maybe they got put off by the stupid get a scales answers? I do have food scales and yes you can add the item manually. However, my point is, when using the app and scanning the barcode, the ONLY option for SERVING SIZE is 1 yes ONE bowl!! What size bowl???? it's a useless measurement!!!!! unless the size or amount in said BOWL is also clarified. By your 17,000 plus posts, you must have been on here for years or spend way too much time trolling people questions

Well, you could enter it as a "bowl" user the scanner but still weigh out the serving size as per the actual nutritional label and stop being lazy...
  • taffpike669
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well, you could enter it as a "bowl" user the scanner but still weigh out the serving size as per the actual nutritional label and stop being lazy...

Your right which is indeed what I did, still doesn't detract from the fact that the App is showing/using a measurement that doesn't exist, and for many people who are new to the App this will be confusing.
  • taffpike669
    Options
    #cwolfman13, thank you for your input and wisdom! I initially made a comment about negative posts in answer to a question posted previously, and looking through this site, seems like it has been asked many times. There is no need for people to belittle, or take the P155 out of people who do not have the knowledge that you and so many others who have posted various strategies for going around the Bowl anomaly. I understand that there are errors and although you nor I were confused, dumbfounded or left scratching our heads in wonder, there are quite obviously many people who are/were and don't understand the need to apply SOP's or even know what SOP's are! after all, this is just a fitness app, not a combat or logistical estimate. Remember the acronym KISS it could well apply here, BTW, Just read your profile and definitely an inspiration, I'm sure many have and will continue to value your commitment and input. Cheers
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There are more ways to log than using the barcode.

Maybe you should stop being so hangry and find one more suitable.

Yes you're right there are, however, when an app has a feature that is supposed to make things convenient, like the barcode scan, you would expect it to work!

I'd have thought the people at myfitnesspal would have got this right, or is the size of the bowl, or portion in the said bowl only available to premium subscribers?

In a user-generated database, it's generally expected that you use the noggin you are feeding and find the accurate serving size. A bowl is not an accurate serving size.

• taffpike669
    Options
    In a user-generated database, it's generally expected that you use the noggin you are feeding and find the accurate serving size. A bowl is not an accurate serving size.

Thank you for your input, however, did you even read through the posts before replying, in particular, the one before you commented?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Thank you for your input, however, did you even read through the posts before replying, in particular, the one before you commented?

I did. I know how to read. And pick accurate entries.