The Nutritarian Lifestyle for Health

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Also, Dr. Fuhrman charges people money just to get access to many of the things on his website, which is 'interesting'. I have read his book though, which I borrowed from the library, and yeah-not impressed :p

Oh, it's Fuhrman. That explains it. :rolleyes: He's right up there with Taubes, Lustig, Mercola and Dr. Oz on the woo, pseudoscience and fearmongering hierarchy.

Psuedoscience ? Only If over hundreds of cited peer reviewed clinical data is. Again, I don't see how preaching optimum health is fear mongering. Though, America in it's current condition, could do with a little fear. Just because he, and others are teaching something so contrary to many peoples lifestyle, doesn't make it fear mongering. You don't get to say that just because it makes you uncomfortable. People like to hear good news about their bad habits.

Actually IMO the problem with Fuhrman (and others who push restrictive diets) is that he would have it that the only alternative to the stereotypical SAD is his diet, and giving up tons of stuff, when you can eat much better by simply following the dietary guidelines (or Harvard's healthy plate) or by more generally making sure you get in what you need for a healthy diet, including plenty of veg, and not eating too much.

Even McDougall (who I'd classify as a guru diet peddler and fear monger too) is critical of Fuhrman's diet as not being consistent with how humans traditionally ate -- his point is that when you have a diet that's animal product free you need calories from somewhere and insisting they are all super nutrient dense sources isn't realistic and who knows how good that is for us, as most traditional diets get the bulk of calories from staple starches. (I'm not pro McDougall, but I do think looking at the diversity of traditional diets and that they don't require worrying about "nutrarianism" is key -- I'd align more with Pollan's sensible take on diet, myself.)