Help new to food scale

Options
Famof72015
Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I am new to Weighing food and my online coach that I paid for I only have two weeks left thank goodness because she's not helpful and just makes me feel silly for asking and doesn't even answer my questions My scale changes from grams to ounces to pounds to milk water ML so if I'm going to measure anything liquid sour cream, salsa do I just dump it on my scale? Or do I put it into half a cup or a cup and put that on my scale? I can't see myself dumping out a whole thing of salsa on my scale that just does not make sense but she told me to try to avoid measuring spoons and cups. Please help

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Put your plate on the scale, press the zero/tare button, put the normal amount you want to use on your plate. The grams displayed is the amount you log.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You can push tare/zero button between adding different things to a plate or bowl as well. It is awkward at first, but it soon becomes second nature. Something else I did was weigh all of my pots, pans, dishes, etc. and made a list. That way if I forget to push tare after dumping something into the container I can just subtract the weight of the container (pot, plate etc.).
  • GraybrielFit
    GraybrielFit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    By "avoid measuring spoons and cups," she probably meant you should avoid measuring volumetrically and stick to weight alone - it doesn't mean you should stop using containers at all! Put a cup or bowl on the scale, press zero/tare, then add the food.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    By "avoid measuring spoons and cups," she probably meant you should avoid measuring volumetrically and stick to weight alone - it doesn't mean you should stop using containers at all! Put a cup or bowl on the scale, press zero/tare, then add the food.

This!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Never be afraid to ask anything here....you will get a few snarky comments from those that think they are better, but the really smart people will give you your answers without making you feel like an idiot, and there are a lot of those on here.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can also push the tare button inbetween each thing your weighing if you haven't been already. If I'm going to have pasta, I put my bowl on the scale and push tare, then measure my pasta in the bowl, and push tare, then it zeros out again, and i dump the sauce in over the pasta so i can measure it. When I first started I was measuring each ingredient into separate container bc I didn't know my scale could do that. Tare saved me so many dishes!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Another alternative and one I use often.. Set the container (like the salsa jar) on the scale and turn it on. It will show zero. Take out the amount you want to use. The negative number is the weight to log. I mainly use this with things I'm cooking like liquid egg whites, cheese I'm tossing into an omelet, etc so I don't have to dirty extra containers to weigh precooking.

ETA: You can also use tare to zero the scale rather than turning it off and on for each item.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Milk is slightly more dense than water. My first digital scale did not have a feature for milk precision and I managed to lose a bunch of weight treating milk, water, and oil as the same ounce. That scale went stupid and I bought a new scale that offers milk precision. Using what little functionality remained in the old scale, I found that new scale milk ounces were 110% the weight of new scale water ounces. A bit of internet googling showed me that milk is actually about 3% denser than water. With this information I decided to use the new scale treating milk, water, and oil as the same ounce and trust that my method which worked before would continue working, and it has. My weight loss continues.