Meals for gaining weight?

Options
I've always been into my fitness, but only recently have I started properly hitting the gym and trying to gain some muscle. Does anyone have any advice on the best foods/meals to eat and how frequently to eat them?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat in a slight surplus.... Meet at least the minimum protein and fat requirements then use the rest or your calories as you like.
    Meal timing and size, as well as food choice is personal - "best" is eating foods you like, at times that suit your lifestyle and keep you feeling satisfied. (personally I feel constantly hungry eating lots of mini meals - I go for 2-3 bigger meals, mostly eaten later in the day/evening)
  • Morningstar25
    Morningstar25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've always been into my fitness, but only recently have I started properly hitting the gym and trying to gain some muscle. Does anyone have any advice on the best foods/meals to eat and how frequently to eat them?

I usually eat cashew nuts. Half a bag from asda in 800+ calories
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

This thread might be beneficial. You can also look up protein shake..

www.theprotienchef.co has some good ones.
  • z8limbedfighter
    z8limbedfighter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pizza
  • marianeedstogetfatter
    Options
    You can start with protein shake with high calories.
    Go on amazon they have shakes that can increase ur calorie intake up to 1500. It will be great for gaining weight, which is what I am doing now.
    Avoid fast foods. It will only ly give you the wrong kind of weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Pizza
    Agree. When I first started putting on weight, it was from eating a large pizza by myself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Go on amazon they have shakes that can increase ur calorie intake up to 1500. It will be great for gaining weight, which is what I am doing now.
    Like losing weight, gaining weight regardless of how "clean" someone eats in surplus will result in gaining some fat. It's the AMOUNT of calories in surplus one consumes, not necessarily what they are eating. Yes protein is a most, but one doesn't get extra credit for eating more if macro need is met.
    Fast food is great sometimes because it helps you meet calories and doesn't make you feel full all the time. Especially when you train. You just have to be aware of how many calories you're taking in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Like losing weight, gaining weight regardless of how "clean" someone eats in surplus will result in gaining some fat. It's the AMOUNT of calories in surplus one consumes, not necessarily what they are eating. Yes protein is a most, but one doesn't get extra credit for eating more if macro need is met.
    Fast food is great sometimes because it helps you meet calories and doesn't make you feel full all the time. Especially when you train. You just have to be aware of how many calories you're taking in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I would also add, that people would be better off making their own shakes. Most mass gainers or high calorie shakes are full of fillers. So you are overpaying for crap.

And if you look at a site like: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein , you will notice that most on the bottom of the list are all mass gainers.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    For one thing, you need to know your BMR number, once you do, you try to go on a surplus of calories by 250-500 calories. Second, try to aim around 0.8g / lbs of protein, I usually go to 1g per pound just to be on the safe side, but you can still make progress with 0.8g...some even say you can go as low as 0.6g....personally I don't want to go that low, I prefer being on the safe side. As for food, it depends on you, are you a vegan? Are you someone who eats so-called "clean food" (I hate that term) or are you like me who prefers "If it fits your macros" aka Flexible dieting. If you are into flexible dieting, then for proteins I recommend Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, any meat or fish, Protein Powder, Protein Bars, most dairies (cheese, milk, etc..), Egg Whites, eggs. For carbs, I recommend rice, bagel, bread, candies, quinoa (it has protein too), cereal and for fats, I recommend nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil (basically anything that ends with the word oil), peanut butter, anything that's fast food. Now those are just a few examples.

You don't need to know your bmr. You need to know your tdee. That is your maintenance calories. BMR is just baseline metabolism.