Question about vacation dieting

Options
I am currently on a 4 week metabolic repair at 1830 calories (BMR calculated)

I will be dropping back down to my weight loss calories of 1330 a few days before vacation.

Vacation will include LOTS of walking...but limited (mostly fast food) choices. No way to cook meals or store fresh foods.

So, my quesiton is:

Would you (should I) just wait until AFTER vacation (which would only be a week longer) to start the weight loss calories since I will be walking at least 5 miles a day anyway? It isn't like I'll be "over eating" if I stick to my BMR 1830 calories.

Annnnnd. Go!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I personally would wait till I got home.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait. I dropped back to 1700 a day upon return from holiday 3 weeks ago and am dropping slowly but steadily. I actually think you might do harm dropping the cals before you go to be honest.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I would wait. I just got back from 2 weeks in Italy with lots of walking, climbing and swimming. I did not log at all but managed not to gain any weight even though I ate great food and drank great wine.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Vacation and Diet Don't Go together.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait til you get home. Maybe switch your calories to maintenance for the week so you don't feel completely out of control, but are not too restricted- and don't forget to add (and eat) those walking exercise calories!

We had a break over Easter and that's what I did - and not only did I not gain, but the week after we got back I dropped 2lb instead of 1!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This ^^

In your OP, did you mean TDEE when you said BMR?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation next week and will be in the same position. I have decided that I am just going to enjoy myself. No need to make myself crazy over every little calorie. Debating whether I'll even take my fit bit with me!

Have a wonderful relaxing time on your vacation!:flowerforyou:
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    In your OP, did you mean TDEE when you said BMR?

Yes! :)

I am currently using maintenance calories...so I may continue through vacation...since I KNOW I won't be able to lost 19 lbs BEFORE vacation. ;)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to use my vacation as a diet break actually. No logging, no cutting. I'll get back on track when I get back ;)
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    wait. Doesn't mean that you can't continue to pick healthier options and monitor your portion sizes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sigh........
    vacations are for 3 things only.

SEX
    EATING AND
    BOOZING
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    sigh........
    vacations are for 3 things only.

SEX
    EATING AND
    BOOZING

^^^ This. Wait until you come back and enjoy yourself!
  • Happymelz
    Options
    wait. Doesn't mean that you can't continue to pick healthier options and monitor your portion sizes.

I CAN pick healthier options. but when choices are limiited sometimes your "healthier" options arent that great.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I CAN pick healthier options. but when choices are limiited sometimes your "healthier" options arent that great.

Even a better reason to wait. You don't need to beat yourself up because you can't stick to the lower calorie goal.

On another note, I just got back from vacation and didn't find it that bad to find healthier options for at least 1 or 2 meals a day. Breakfast I would eat fruit or yogurt I got from a convenient store while on a gas stop. For lunch I got a Happy Meal for 450 calories (drank water). Although the sliced apples were gross. I packed a few pre-portioned bags of trail mix or nuts for snacks. They didn't take up much room and keep me from grabbing cookies.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    On another note, I just got back from vacation and didn't find it that bad to find healthier options for at least 1 or 2 meals a day. Breakfast I would eat fruit or yogurt I got from a convenient store while on a gas stop. For lunch I got a Happy Meal for 450 calories (drank water). Although the sliced apples were gross. I packed a few pre-portioned bags of trail mix or nuts for snacks. They didn't take up much room and keep me from grabbing cookies.

Thank you! :) I'm sure I can do ok. I just wanted reassurance that it is OK to maintain through vacation. :)