Wii vs treadmill

Options
So i am trying to find ways I could burn more calories at home.
At first I was going to purchase a wii U as it has some good fitness games but then I thought a treadmill would also be a good idea since I could use it while watching TV etc.
What would you guys suggest ?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to which is going to be more enjoyable for you and which makes more financial sense. A decent treadmill is not cheap (they sell cheap ones at big box stores but don't count on it lasting very long, it will be noisier and tend to have a smaller track). If you decide to buy one wait a little while and the check for a used one, lots of people buy them with the best on intentions only to find they have a very expensive towel rack in the house (let someone else take the depreciation)

My treadmill is about 10 years old and hasn't been used much for a few years as I run outside pretty much all year 'round now but it did serve me very well for the first few years I owned it.

I don't own a video game console but I would suspect that you can probably get more variety in your workouts with one of those with a much smaller investment.

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    There are other ways of getting a good workout than purchasing anything. Before spending money on anything try visiting fitness blender or Popsugar fitness finder. They will create workouts for you depending on what you want. You can also look for fitness videos on You Tube.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    there are tons of free options out there. I've had both a treadmill and wii...they are both good options depending on what you will use more. My treadmill hasn't been used in a long time because we love the gym and walks in the park. My kid took the wii to college...I thought it was a fun way to exercise and it tracks your weight and activity which adds a little motivation. She (the wii voice) says "oh" in a funny way when you step on her...I always heard it as "oh my, you are heavy". :smiley:
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love playing Just Dance and Gold's gym dance workout on my Wii, along with Wii sports, plus most games I play standing up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you want to exercise while watching TV I have a couple of ideas.

Walk At Home videos. Try Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home - YouTube. These are super simple, no choreography workouts. I can put my laptop on an ottoman and stream a video (or play a DVD) without sound and workout while watching the news. Seriously, you just need to glance at the screen from time to time. Jessica Smith has great "walking" videos too....but you have to watch the screen for hers. Both are fun.

Rebounder - unlike a treadmill a rebounder (with bungees) is super quiet. Jog, bounce, whatever. Google Bellicon workouts on YouTube for ideas. Plus these aren't heavy, you can move from place to place.

I had a "dreadmill" years ago. I got so sick of it. Mine was cheap and noisy.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day......

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4088442/amp/Fischer-Price-reveals-spin-bike-toddlers-tablet-holder.html?client=safari

What has happened to the human race?! Is it that hard to go outside and get some fresh air???
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There are other ways of getting a good workout than purchasing anything. Before spending money on anything try visiting fitness blender or Popsugar fitness finder. They will create workouts for you depending on what you want. You can also look for fitness videos on You Tube.

I did but found them pretty boring
  • active562
    Options
    I read this the other day......

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4088442/amp/Fischer-Price-reveals-spin-bike-toddlers-tablet-holder.html?client=safari

What has happened to the human race?! Is it that hard to go outside and get some fresh air???

A. I Do not feel comfortable jogging outside for some reason and B. No way I am going out in the cold when I have the luxury of working out at home.
  • active562
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If you want to exercise while watching TV I have a couple of ideas.

Walk At Home videos. Try Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home - YouTube. These are super simple, no choreography workouts. I can put my laptop on an ottoman and stream a video (or play a DVD) without sound and workout while watching the news. Seriously, you just need to glance at the screen from time to time. Jessica Smith has great "walking" videos too....but you have to watch the screen for hers. Both are fun.

Rebounder - unlike a treadmill a rebounder (with bungees) is super quiet. Jog, bounce, whatever. Google Bellicon workouts on YouTube for ideas. Plus these aren't heavy, you can move from place to place.

I had a "dreadmill" years ago. I got so sick of it. Mine was cheap and noisy.

I actually really like the rebounder idea ! Sounds fun
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill and stationary bike. The Wii fit stuff can't really compare unless you love running on the spot.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I got bored of my Wii. I even have the scale thingy. I'm more inclined to watch tv (football/hockey) and started on my treadmill with that. I figure as long as I'm going to watch, I may as well walk. But I bought one a few years back so I already had it.
  • frankw888
    frankw888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's all about what works best for you and your lifestyle. My treadmill went unused for years, but after the purchase of $30 laptop attachment from Amazon and the realization that I can work from home or watch on demand TV over the laptop, I use it for many hours every week. That's perfect for me and my job, but if you are someone who would have more fun with wii and will actually do active games on it, go for it.
  • Susan8rFL
    Susan8rFL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can use the Wii step program while watching TV. There's a set up for it. It just gives you a "tick" sound to keep pace while stepping with the video your TV. It will tell you when you reach 100 steps so I just switch directions at every hundred.