• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »

Not quite sure whats funny about that. It all depends on what the person is trying to achieve to blindly saying its good for just about everyone is not correct. 3 days a week may not be enough for an individuals goals or it may be. It all depends on what they are trying to achieve.

Ok, if you're not using Vitamin S and don't plan on competing at a professional level body builder, then YES full body workouts are GREAT! Three days a week no matter the goal can be accomplished using the principles I outlined once a gain..... Volume/ Frequency / Recovery........ You do realize weight lifting is catabolic...right???

Love this argument. Guy that actually has an impressive physique gets told how things are by a less than average joe who then implioes that he is celltekking (which automatically means you didn't work hard at all or make any sacrifices for that body) . Alrightty... I'll listen to the guy that has a physique I'd be proud of (if bodybuilding was my aspiration).

Because there is a direct correlation between muscle size and knowledge? Have you seen mark rippetoe?

There is a direct correlation between muscle size and experience. I have read starting strength and practical programming- great books. Mark Ripptoe is very expericed in the weightroom and knowledgable. What's your point

Have you seen mark rippetoe's photo? He goes against your muscle size and experience correlation.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Not quite sure whats funny about that. It all depends on what the person is trying to achieve to blindly saying its good for just about everyone is not correct. 3 days a week may not be enough for an individuals goals or it may be. It all depends on what they are trying to achieve.

Ok, if you're not using Vitamin S and don't plan on competing at a professional level body builder, then YES full body workouts are GREAT! Three days a week no matter the goal can be accomplished using the principles I outlined once a gain..... Volume/ Frequency / Recovery........ You do realize weight lifting is catabolic...right???

Love this argument. Guy that actually has an impressive physique gets told how things are by a less than average joe who then implioes that he is celltekking (which automatically means you didn't work hard at all or make any sacrifices for that body) . Alrightty... I'll listen to the guy that has a physique I'd be proud of (if bodybuilding was my aspiration).

Because there is a direct correlation between muscle size and knowledge? Have you seen mark rippetoe?

There is a direct correlation between muscle size and experience. I have read starting strength and practical programming- great books. Mark Ripptoe is very expericed in the weightroom and knowledgable. What's your point

While this is true, context matters. What is appropriate for your large muscled dude is not necessarily appropriate for a beginner. They are lifting heavier, gains come slower, and are building on top of an existing muscle base that most would be perfectly happy to end up with. There's a reason lifting has different programs targeted for beginners, intermediates, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not necessarily. There are plenty of people who get big by 1. drugs, or 2. have great coaches. Heck, they may not even have the time to understand why they were able to achieve the results they did, but rather very good at following a detailed plan and had a good programming. I know several competitors who don't know much, but rather are very good at following plans to the T. And that is ok. They don't need to know the science... they need to know how to achieve that specific goal. But in terms of application, I would follow the person who is the most intelligent and can lay out the most effective plan.

BTW, here is a pic of Mark Rippetoe... looks jacked right?

maxresdefault.jpg
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. There are plenty of people who get big by 1. drugs, or 2. have great coaches. Heck, they may not even have the time to understand why they were able to achieve the results they did, but rather very good at following a detailed plan and had a good programming. I know several competitors who don't know much, but rather are very good at following plans to the T. And that is ok. They don't need to know the science... they need to know how to achieve that specific goal. But in terms of application, I would follow the person who is the most intelligent and can lay out the most effective plan.

BTW, here is a pic of Mark Rippetoe... looks jacked right?

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like he could squat more than me so i would take his advice on how to do that. I wouldn't take ole markys advice on how to build a good physique.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Love this argument.

Using someone's physique to validate what information is right.

Would you take Lyle McDonald's advice on training and diet?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Lyle Mcdonald, go look him up and tell me if you would take his advice. Because I guarantee you he's one of the best if not the best in the field and he looks like he's never picked up a weight.

Do you have any idea how many complete idiots there are on gear who are jacked AF? Trust me I've met plenty of them who truly have no clue, but they train their *kitten* off and run gear and they're successful.

• psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Lyle Mcdonald, go look him up and tell me if you would take his advice. Because I guarantee you he's one of the best if not the best in the field and he looks like he's never picked up a weight.

Do you have any idea how many complete idiots there are on gear who are jacked AF? Trust me I've met plenty of them who truly have no clue, but they train their *kitten* off and run gear and they're successful.

I have a friend who worked with a Washington Redskin and she was told if you want to lose weight and get fit, you have to eliminate yeast from your diet. I almost feel out of my chair. Just goes to show, even if you are paid millions to play a professional sport; have access to some very good trainers, doctors and sports nutritionist; you still get crap information.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You lack basic reading comprehension.

He stated that full body workouts are better for non-competitive, non-steroid using individuals when compared to body part specific splits.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Full body routines are great for building strength and muscle, assuming you are eating enough and progressing in your lifts.
  • timmster97
    timmster97 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with full body routines. I didn't mean to start an all out war. Anyway, thank you to those who sent useful information. I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm gonna start a full body routine tomorrow. I'll do full body for at least a month then I'll do an upper/lower split, like PHUL, and compare my progress. Thanks again for the informative comments!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    timmster97 wrote: »
    I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with full body routines. I didn't mean to start an all out war. Anyway, thank you to those who sent useful information. I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm gonna start a full body routine tomorrow. I'll do full body for at least a month then I'll do an upper/lower split, like PHUL, and compare my progress. Thanks again for the informative comments!

Please don't mind the other stuff and try to utilize it as an opportunity to further learn. Training methods are debatable . But good luck.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP forums :smiley:

I would recommend staying with a program for a minimum of 12 weeks before switching. The key to anyone lifting is consistency and progression/overload. Here are a couple of GREAT full body routines that you can stick with for as long as you continue to make progress....

Strong Lifts 5x5

Grey Skull LP

I feel both of these sites do a great job explaining the programs in detail. I personally started with Strong Lifts and then moved on to different types of programming based on my personal goals.

Enjoy!
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about how in the pre-roid era, the body builders would do full body workouts. I'm curious if anyone has had experience doing full body routines, and if so, are they good for building strength and muscle? Thanks in advance!

Lets set the record straight. You can gain muscle riding your bicycle! As long as you are breaking down and tearing the muscle and are eating properly to get that muscle to rebuild itself, you will gain muscle. Yes a full body workout can put muscle onto you. Riding a bike can put muscle onto you. The real question is, what are your goals.
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If I could do it all over again as a newbie, I would start with fullbody 6 days/week...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    newbie3122 wrote: »
    If I could do it all over again as a newbie, I would start with fullbody 6 days/week...

Why? This does not sound right...
  • newbie3122
    Options
    newbie3122 wrote: »

Why? This does not sound right...
    As a beginner, I will need more frequency just to get my form down. 6x might be too excessive for a lot of people, but I think I can handle it with good recovery (I don't believe in overtraining). Never hit failure, but keep the workout with enough intensity, and progressively overload each week. Might switch to 'take a rest day as necessary' and then 'fullbody every other day' later or something

Most of everything I do are just based on bro-sciences. To me, weight training is an experimental process, full of trial and error. What doesn't work for one person might work for me.

Plus fullbody every single day sounds like fun :D

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about how in the pre-roid era, the body builders would do full body workouts. I'm curious if anyone has had experience doing full body routines, and if so, are they good for building strength and muscle? Thanks in advance!

Lets set the record straight. You can gain muscle riding your bicycle! As long as you are breaking down and tearing the muscle and are eating properly to get that muscle to rebuild itself, you will gain muscle. Yes a full body workout can put muscle onto you. Riding a bike can put muscle onto you. The real question is, what are your goals.
    Not entirely true. If the resistance is the same day after day, muscle isn't being built, just maintained.
    Building muscle requires progressive overload. By the analogy you speak of, walking should be able to build muscle if you just walk fast enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• newbie3122
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Not entirely true. If the resistance is the same day after day, muscle isn't being built, just maintained.
    Building muscle requires progressive overload. By the analogy you speak of, walking should be able to build muscle if you just walk fast enough.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Anything with resistance can build muscles really by progressively overloading. It depends on OP's goal, but for just strength/hypertrophy weight training is one of the quicker ways

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That is why I specifically stated "As long as you are breaking down and tearing the muscle" Walking would not do that clearly.