Spironolactone

jagodfrey08
jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a 35 year old mom of 3 with PCOS. I have lose roughly 40-45 lbs since June of last year and started Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size lifting program 6 weeks ago.

My doctor just prescribed me Loestrin FE and spironolactone for the cystic acne that has started developing, the mood swings, and the hair loss that has happened since I started lifting. He also ran a complete hormone panel, but those results won't be in for a few days. I had elevated testosterone in May 2016, when he diagnosed me with PCOS.

My question is, is there anyone here taking this medication, and how did it affect you? I am nervous because it is a medication typically for high blood pressure and edema, neither of which I have, but it also has been found effective for lowering the androgen levels.

Will this medication cause issues with building muscle? Just curious.

Replies

• invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2017
    I take spironolactone for hormonal acne as well. I have been on it for 4 years. It is dose dependent as far as the action of the medication. Typically, they start low, wait a few months, check a potassium level (as it is a potassium sparing diuretic) and see if the acne is improving. if not, they they can go up 25 or 50mg and do the same. I've been on the same dose for the whole time. I have normal blood pressure and no edema as well and have had little side effects from it. I take it first thing in the morning because of the diuretic effect and not wanting to be up peeing all night. Once in a while I'll get a little light headed an hour or so after taking it because my blood pressure must drop a bit but I drink a couple glasses of water and feel fine pretty soon after.
    I haven't noticed any issues with building muscle in that time either.
    My acne however has improved greatly since starting spironolactone. I'm 41 and have 2 kids. I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    I took it with no negative side effects.
  • jagodfrey08
    I take spironolactone for hormonal acne as well. I have been on it for 4 years. It is dose dependent as far as the action of the medication. Typically, they start low, wait a few months, check a potassium level (as it is a potassium sparing diuretic) and see if the acne is improving. if not, they they can go up 25 or 50mg and do the same. I've been on the same dose for the whole time. I have normal blood pressure and no edema as well and have had little side effects from it. I take it first thing in the morning because of the diuretic effect and not wanting to be up peeing all night. Once in a while I'll get a little light headed an hour or so after taking it because my blood pressure must drop a bit but I drink a couple glasses of water and feel fine pretty soon after.
    I haven't noticed any issues with building muscle in that time either.
    My acne however has improved greatly since starting spironolactone. I'm 41 and have 2 kids. I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22.

You just made me feel a LOT better about this! Thank you so much! He's starting me on 25mg. I might go ahead and start it and then start my BCP when Aunt Flo comes.
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    I take 50mg right now which is what he started me on originally. Good luck!
  • jagodfrey08
    Thanks! I'm going to try it and see how it goes. Anything is better than the painful cystic acne I was getting everywhere.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2017
    Spironolactone is off label for PCOS as well as acne (MD is smart going with the 2 for 1 approach). It is a relatively weak diuretic with delayed onset for treating hypertension and/or heart failure (response may take 2-3 weeks). For PCOS, it does counter the effects of androgen (alternatively, so does Metformin via different mechanism of binding more androgen to sex binding hormone globulin). Monitoring parameters include electrolytes (esp. Potassium, since it's potassium sparing), Creatinine clearance (must be renally dosed), EKG (predisposition to arrhymias since both high and low potassium can lead to arrhythmia), and blood pressure.

Very well tolerated for the most part, especially dosed low. Does not affect cardiovascular performance unlike beta blockers unless you do something stupid like severely dehydrate yourself with other diuretics, laxatives, combine with multiple potassium products. Monitoring potassium as a possibility for experiencing muscle weakness, although this is an extremely vague symptom that is not necessarily indicative of potassium levels
  • jagodfrey08
    Thanks for that information! I might have to ask about metformin if this doesn't work. I am also prediabetic, and my A1C levels haven't come down, even with eating better and losing weight. He mentioned metformin, so that might be the next course of action. Not sure.