HELP! Getting off the "gain train" - lost 85 pounds, plateaued, and started gaining back...

Options
I plateaued for about 6 months after having lost 85 pounds. I moved, life changed, got off track, and I packed on WAY more than I'd expected possible considering I was still very physically active. Now it's a battle royale with my body to get it back into losing mode. When I was on track, it was almost effortless. Anybody have some good tips on getting my body back on track? THANKS!

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    im thinking you just did ,, take it one day at a time ,, set MFP eat those nuumbers and wait ,,

good luck
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    Lift weights

• Masyn88
    Masyn88 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    BAH! Where's the magic formula!?!?!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    Lift weights

This is the magic formula
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also consume less than TDEE and more than BMR.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    And consume adequate protein- make sure you hit your protein macronutrient goal.

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    You clearly know how to do it.
    You have a game plan.
    You did it once you can do it again.
    If you don't see the scale move, then burn more Kcal.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same situation. I lost nearly 150 pounds a few years ago. But I gained a portion of it back after an injury kept me from working out for about 6 months. When I finally got the medical okay to work out again, I was so discouraged by how much progress I lost (I was actually struggling with beginner-oriented workout programs again) that it just killed my drive. I've tried getting back into it multiple times, but the motivation just isn't there. And working out doesn't seem to provide me with a way of coping with stress. Rather, it adds to it.
  • pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. I've lost a lot of weight but in the last two months I've gained a small amount back. This week I'm off to a good start. I joined a challenge on here where I weigh in weekly. The accountability helps me. And while I rebuild my resolve I'm cutting out things that cause me to veer off plan, minimizing sugars which trigger more cravings for me. I already feel like I'm close to being back in the mode of healthy living.

Look at how successful you've been. You know how to do this!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same situation. I lost nearly 150 pounds a few years ago. But I gained a portion of it back after an injury kept me from working out for about 6 months. When I finally got the medical okay to work out again, I was so discouraged by how much progress I lost (I was actually struggling with beginner-oriented workout programs again) that it just killed my drive. I've tried getting back into it multiple times, but the motivation just isn't there. And working out doesn't seem to provide me with a way of coping with stress. Rather, it adds to it.

Technically you don't need to work out to maintain weight loss or to lose weight- but you do need to adjust your calorie intake to make up for not being as active.

And maybe you need a different type of exercise if it isn't helping with stress? Have you tried yoga? Dance? Weight lifting? Hiking? Different people respond to different exercises in different ways. Personally I love weight lifting and hiking and occasionally some yoga. But if only did cardio machines and step aerobics I would be miserable.

Again exercise is not critical to weight loss- it does help and has many health benefits, but is not absolutely necessary.
  • contingencyplan
    edited January 2017
    Options

Technically you don't need to work out to maintain weight loss or to lose weight- but you do need to adjust your calorie intake to make up for not being as active.

And maybe you need a different type of exercise if it isn't helping with stress? Have you tried yoga? Dance? Weight lifting? Hiking? Different people respond to different exercises in different ways. Personally I love weight lifting and hiking and occasionally some yoga. But if only did cardio machines and step aerobics I would be miserable.

Again exercise is not critical to weight loss- it does help and has many health benefits, but is not absolutely necessary.

Yoga is very stressful to me. Slow, controlled movements make me feel like I'm trapped in my own skin and get panicky. What makes me feel relieved is anything that involves fast, explosive movements such as jumping, which require a lot of room. But my living situation has changed and I no longer have a place that gives me enough space to do those types of exercises indoors, and because the outside is a big hill (and it's winter right now) I can't do it outside either. I also can't join a gym.

Whenever I do anything that is in any way physically strenuous now it feels like the walls are closing in on me, like everything is getting smaller around me, even my own skin. It's always been that way with things like yoga, but now it's everything.
  • Masyn88
    Masyn88 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    All right.... Maybe I just needed reinforcement to know that what I'm doing is what I SHOULD be doing. Done being the token fat chick and I guess I just need more patience. Thanks for all your input - I feel better knowing that I AM on track, but maybe just not the fast track.... yet ;)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Masyn88 wrote: »
    All right.... Maybe I just needed reinforcement to know that what I'm doing is what I SHOULD be doing. Done being the token fat chick and I guess I just need more patience. Thanks for all your input - I feel better knowing that I AM on track, but maybe just not the fast track.... yet ;)

There is no fast track with weight loss but if you're in a calorie deficit, consistently over time, then you're doing just fine :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Yoga is very stressful to me. Slow, controlled movements make me feel like I'm trapped in my own skin and get panicky. What makes me feel relieved is anything that involves fast, explosive movements such as jumping, which require a lot of room. But my living situation has changed and I no longer have a place that gives me enough space to do those types of exercises indoors, and because the outside is a big hill (and it's winter right now) I can't do it outside either. I also can't join a gym.

Whenever I do anything that is in any way physically strenuous now it feels like the walls are closing in on me, like everything is getting smaller around me, even my own skin. It's always been that way with things like yoga, but now it's everything.

So don't do yoga. That's what I'm saying- do what works for YOU.

Jumping jacks don't take a whole lot of room. Jumping rope, jump squats, split lunges, etc. I'm sure you could move some furniture around to get a little workout space. Maybe put a pull up bar in a doorway...

You might want to work on that anxiety too. That's not a normal feeling to have. Have you seen a therapist? Might want to check for vitamin deficiencies too which can cause increased anxiety or low tolerance for stress.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

So don't do yoga. That's what I'm saying- do what works for YOU.

Jumping jacks don't take a whole lot of room. Jumping rope, jump squats, split lunges, etc. I'm sure you could move some furniture around to get a little workout space. Maybe put a pull up bar in a doorway...

You might want to work on that anxiety too. That's not a normal feeling to have. Have you seen a therapist? Might want to check for vitamin deficiencies too which can cause increased anxiety or low tolerance for stress.

Ceiling space is also an issue for doing anything jumping related. I am seeing a therapist but it's not for that issue specifically. I don't know if I would call it anxiety.