Skinny Guys Guide to Building Mass

BHFF
BHFF Posts: 421 Member
Truth be told I use to be very thin. At 6'1 150 lbs I had more of a womans body than a mans lol. I now know what it takes (being the classic Ectomorph) to put on size, lean muscle and mass. What have you others who have similar physiques done to put on your size?

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    ^#2 all the way.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I guess chicks cannot answer this question? oh well.

#2. and I agree with #1 above.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    @RoxieDawn you did not know this was a mans thread. Lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    @RoxieDawn you did not know this was a mans thread. Lol

I had to cast my vote anyways, call me a rebel..lol
  • BHFF
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I guess chicks cannot answer this question? oh well.

Hell ya girls can answer! please go ahead
  • BHFF
    1) Somatypes are not a real thing.
    2) I imagine everyone ate in a calorie surplus and followed a progressive resistance programme

Somatypes are a real thing sorry to tell you. A research study was done in 2003 by some Oxford professors and their research concluded that there are 3 general body types. A few years later that same study was done by some Harvard students and the conquered with the Oxford study and results. But hey, I guess we will just ignore those studies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    BHFF wrote: »
    2) I imagine everyone ate in a calorie surplus and followed a progressive resistance programme

Somatypes are a real thing sorry to tell you. A research study was done in 2003 by some Oxford professors and their research concluded that there are 3 general body types. A few years later that same study was done by some Harvard students and the conquered with the Oxford study and results. But hey, I guess we will just ignore those studies.

There are some studies regarding them but it's largely based on one's end state and your somatotype can change multiple times. About six post down, you will see a response from Alan Aragon on the matter.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142265271

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033492/
  • BHFF
    You cannot change your bone structure which it is mostly based upon. Sorry, that just cannot happen.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    You cannot change your bone structure which it is mostly based upon. Sorry, that just cannot happen.

Yeah, except that's not what somatotypes were about; or did it get redefined when no one was looking?

For a quick and dirty reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

Yes, the whole thing was essentially just copypastaed onto an entirely different field later, but even that is based on things that can change, more than those that cannot.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member

Yeah, except that's not what somatotypes were about; or did it get redefined when no one was looking?

For a quick and dirty reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

Yes, the whole thing was essentially just copypastaed onto an entirely different field later, but even that is based on things that can change, more than those that cannot.

Yes, it was originally what can best be described as quackery, but they seem to have taken the three body types and kept the labels for modern studies. "Hey, let's just keep these labels, everyone already knows them."
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Yes, it was originally what can best be described as quackery, but they seem to have taken the three body types and kept the labels for modern studies. "Hey, let's just keep these labels, everyone already knows them."

Pretty much. My problem isn't with the labels themselves, but with the fact that people are foolish enough to believe that it's a permenant thing, that there's a such thing as a "pure ectomorph", and have no problem using said labels as an excuse, instead of just, ya' know, busting their *kitten* in the gym and at the dinner table.

Random funfact: when I was at my heaviest, I'd have qualified as an endo. Then at my lightest, an ecto. Now, I'm in this absurd grey area between ecto and meso. It's almost like the whole thing is pointless bodybuilder handwringing and excuse making. I've never seen a powerlifter crying about their total being crap because "muh somatotype".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

link to study....