Weights at home. What to buy.

Options
DietVanillaCoke
DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
Howdy, not sure if this is the right place to post this.

So my partner and I are looking into buying some weights for our place. We're not sure what to go for.
He has dumbells that he can adjust and add weight too. So far with 2, 1.5KG(3.3lbs) weights and 2, 2.5KG(5.5lbs). I also have 8kg (17.6lbs) and 10kg(22lbs) Kettlebells but we want to lift more, a lot more. I've been lifting bags of soil over my head and it's getting pretty silly now XD.

I need to lose a good 70lbs but would like to start lifting heavy now and he's 84kg(185lbs) and wants to gain muscle, maybe lose a little fat later down the track.

We both would like to have our own home gym and this will be the start of it. I like the idea of getting a barbell and weight set, maybe more as the months go by. What would you suggest?

Also could you recommend any videos?

Thanks!

Replies

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is a good post but a little difficult to answer as you both have different body types and are both trying to achieve different goals. You really dont have much to start with. I do question why if you are 70lbs overweight why it is you want to lift so heavy? I would think you would want to do lighter weights, higher reps, with maybe a 45 sec break in between sets. I would reccomend some band work into your routine as it can really burn out the muscles and you can do so many variations of exercise with such a cheap device.

For him, if hes looking to gain weight he may want to get more weights to work with. At least do the basics like pushups, pull ups, squats, deadlift, bench press and shoulder press. If you can just start with these exercises you will most certainly see a difference. Both of you would be wise to start a very strict diet plan that fits your individual needs which are differnt. This is where you will see the most benefit.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would look into elliptical or treadmill for cardio
    and I would look into bow-flex dumbbells as they are adjustable

http://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/1090/710000.html
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I lift heavy and got everything used on Craigslist, I would suggest an Olympic bar with various plates and a squat rack as a good start.
    I don't use videos. Watch YouTube to work on your form and start light. Get your form down first so you don't hurt yourself, and start with the bar only (it's 45 pounds by itself)
    You can do a lot with just these to start; squats, rows, overhead press, power cleans.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Power cage, bench Olympic bar & weights. I got all of that on Craigslist & use it 4-5x week.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Second the vote for Craigslist.

Figure out whether you want to go with KBells or Bar/DBells and then commit to setting up a space for a home gym.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely keep an eye out online =)

My main reason for lifting heavy was that a lot of girls I spoke to online said it's a great time to start now and try to hold onto the muscle I have and try not to gain it later (Not sure exactly what they meant) but they said to up my protein to about 112gms a day (I'm around 207-208lbs now) I eat about 1400-1600calories. I was going to wait until i got down to around 180lbs as I was worried I might hurt my knees but I can lift a 50lbs bag of soil with no issues, so i figured I may as well start to learn now while my partner learns.

I think learning how to lift correctly will probably be challenging for me XD But I imagine youtube will be a major help there =D

Thanks again.

• Sumiblue
    Options

My main reason for lifting heavy was that a lot of girls I spoke to online said it's a great time to start now and try to hold onto the muscle I have and try not to gain it later (Not sure exactly what they meant) but they said to up my protein to about 112gms a day (I'm around 207-208lbs now) I eat about 1400-1600calories. I was going to wait until i got down to around 180lbs as I was worried I might hurt my knees but I can lift a 50lbs bag of soil with no issues, so i figured I may as well start to learn now while my partner learns.

I think learning how to lift correctly will probably be challenging for me XD But I imagine youtube will be a major help there =D

Thanks again.

What they meant is when losing weight, you lose fat and muscle. If you start lifting now at a higher weight, and up your protein, you will retain as much muscle as you can and lose mostly fat.

If you just dieted down, muscle be damned, the only way to build muscle is to eat at a surplus (gain weight) & lift weights.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You are definitely going to benefit from starting heavy lifting as soon as possible. Keep that up with your calorie deficit and you will be on a good path to a great body composition as opposed to waiting to be lighter.

Muscle is not easy to gain (especially as a woman) so maintaining it is a smart move.
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Power cage, bench Olympic bar & weights. I got all of that on Craigslist & use it 4-5x week.

The equipment @Sumiblue listed is great and will give you what you need for both you and your guy to do a full body compound lifting program.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thanks again.

you need to calculate your protein in terms of grams of protein per pound of body weight. For females about .6 should do it, so about 108 grams at 180 pounds.

you are going to need a barbell, power rack, and weights to start..
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Definitely this^^. And follow a beginners program like starting strength, stronglifts or strong curves. Don't make up something yourself.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

^^spot on
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym near by you could use for a month or two to try out some of the equipment you're considering, and if lifting is something you will enjoy and stick with long term? (They may even have a free intro with a trainer to show you the equipment and get you started with form etc.) Another pro, you can also you the cardio equipment there.
    A lot of people spend hundreds of dollars on equipment for it to remain unused, or sell it on Craigslist.
    I recently watched a video by Dave Tate from Elite FTS (they sell lifting equipment) and he suggested that for people who already have an established gym routine but are considering a home gym, buy one thing and see if you will stick with lifting at home before you invest a lot of money in it.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Do you have a gym near by you could use for a month or two to try out some of the equipment you're considering, and if lifting is something you will enjoy and stick with long term? (They may even have a free intro with a trainer to show you the equipment and get you started with form etc.) Another pro, you can also you the cardio equipment there.
    A lot of people spend hundreds of dollars on equipment for it to remain unused, or sell it on Craigslist.
    I recently watched a video by Dave Tate from Elite FTS (they sell lifting equipment) and he suggested that for people who already have an established gym routine but are considering a home gym, buy one thing and see if you will stick with lifting at home before you invest a lot of money in it.

This is good advice. I was going to suggest the same thing. I belonged to Planet Fitness when I started Strong Lifts 5x5. Did it for several months and could tell I would stick with lifting and that PF would make me crazy with its limited equipment. Then I bought my own. Not everyone loves lifting. Or, maybe dumbbells or kettlebells would be a better fit. It's always best to try something out before spending the money, if you can. It will help you figure out just what you want.