What's the poultry look like where you are?

Options
Odd topic, and I'm not sure this is the right forum. Apologies if it should have gone elsewhere.

My family relies heavily on chicken as our primary source of lean meat. For about two months now, several local markets are putting breasts out that appear to be mis-shapen and off color. When they were first out, my wife bought a package. It was tough and rubbery, and huge, easily twice the thickness of a "normal breast". It was also horrible. One bite and in the trash it went.

Fast forward and a bit of reading, it appears to be "white striping" and "woody breast". Producers are looking at weeding out birds that produce it, but it will take years possibly, and they're still selling it.

What's concerning mostly - is it safe to eat? Details seem sparse, but from reading about it (link below) it seems these birds can be inflicted with a variety of diseases. What the heck are they selling in the markets today?

https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/95/11/2724/2399405/White-striping-and-woody-breast-myopathies-in-the

Thoughts and concerns? Am I being an alarmist over nothing?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Like this ...

328779.jpg

Or this ...

346124.jpg

Anything else is too expensive.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chicken that you buy sure isn't the same as the chicken you raise yourself.

Sometimes I think that things taste like chicken, cause chicken ain't chicken any more.

I do find the more expensive brands to be more appealing(smaller) as opposed to some of the bargain brands. I suppose that's very subjective based on a large number of variables.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I eat canned chicken. Family rarely eats it at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Seriously, I haven't seen that. I do normally buy from a local farm, but I got some breasts (er, chicken breasts, skin on, bone-in) at WF just a couple of weeks ago (I wanted something fast and hadn't taken stuff out of the freezer) and they seemed normal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found this discussion.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/56712/my-chicken-breasts-release-a-lot-of-fluid-when-cooked-how-do-i-prevent-this

I have bought very cheap chicken breasts that were giant and then when cooked shrunk to a third their size, and were quite rubbery. In to the stock pot they go.

I come from a long line of frugal cooks.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The chicken here looks fowl. Joking aside, I don't eat chicken but the chicken meat in the nearby store looks normal I guess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    We get it mostly freshly slaughtered. The breasts are slightly bigger for those. We also get them frozen sometimes and they're relatively smaller than fresh, and although they tastes less "chicken-ey" they generally taste and look fine. I haven't heard of this to be honest.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Like this.

o7opx7zyxt6o.jpg
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Seriously, I haven't seen that. I do normally buy from a local farm, but I got some breasts (er, chicken breasts, skin on, bone-in) at WF just a couple of weeks ago (I wanted something fast and hadn't taken stuff out of the freezer) and they seemed normal.

We're going local as well. We just won't be eating chicken as often because $$$ :(
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found this discussion.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/56712/my-chicken-breasts-release-a-lot-of-fluid-when-cooked-how-do-i-prevent-this

I have bought very cheap chicken breasts that were giant and then when cooked shrunk to a third their size, and were quite rubbery. In to the stock pot they go.

I come from a long line of frugal cooks.
    Injecting was the first thing I looked up, thinking they're just overdoing it a bit. This is a whole other beast though. It was nasty, and that seems to be the majority of what's being sold now.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have had this issue buying chicken from Sam's Club in US. I have gone back to buying bone on chicken breasts that look a normal size in local supermarkets to try and avoid it. Thought it was my imagination for a while then I googled and found the woody breast thing. I gathered it has to do with how quickly they get the chickens to grow to size, something unrealistic like 7 days!

P.S. the gross tasting ones never looked any different than normal.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    rutzsa wrote: »
    I have had this issue buying chicken from Sam's Club in US. I have gone back to buying bone on chicken breasts that look a normal size in local supermarkets to try and avoid it. Thought it was my imagination for a while then I googled and found the woody breast thing. I gathered it has to do with how quickly they get the chickens to grow to size, something unrealistic like 7 days!

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one lol.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My husband thought is was him reheating it up for lunch the next day. Apparently, I was getting the icky breast at dinner and he was getting it for lunch but never at the same time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Size of the breast may not mean anything other than the breed of chicken. Chickens come in a wide variety of sizes. Some meat birds have been bread to have very large breasts. But most commercial chicken is infused with a salt water solution which pumps them up and (subjectively) improves taste.

We raise a few meat birds each year but we also buy chicken at the store. I haven't noticed any change in the look or taste of chicken at our local grocer (Kroger).
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    One of our local stores sells these giant chicken breasts inexpensively. Often a single half breast will weigh over a pound. I've always assumed that the firmer texture comes from breeding for a high rate of growth, combined with them being grown to a larger size. The texture reminds me of turkey breast, but still tastes like chicken. I slice them across the grain before cooking, which prevents toughness.

The texture I hate in chicken is the soft mushiness that 'most' store bought chicken has, due to the fast growth. It's usually accompanied by bland flavor.

We have a small farm, and have raised pastured chickens for the freezer, as well as eating excess roosters and old hens. Chicken comes in lots of different textures, and intensities of flavor, depending on age and activity level.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Like this.

o7opx7zyxt6o.jpg

This is the only way chicken should be consumed.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Disagree!

Roasted chicken (my favorite):

xa4fpbip1d2d.jpg

Chicken thighs in a tagine (amazing):

rvbspmmxpbix.jpg

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Also, in finding my images I discovered something called buffalo chicken monkey bread, which I would totally try.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, in finding my images I discovered something called buffalo chicken monkey bread, which I would totally try.

I have no idea what that is, but I really want to eat it.