Binge

Options
So yesterday I went 3000 calories over my 2000 calorie maintenance (5000 calories total) of just pop tarts, pizza, popcorn, and chocolate. Will I gain fat? Or will one day not matter? Also should I eat regular today?

Replies

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've had days like this. It would be pretty common to see a gain of 2 pounds on the scale the day after. That would break down into 1 pound of temporary weight, water, etc and ~1 pound of fat.

So to answer your questions in order.

1. Yes you may have gained something less than a pound of fat.
    2. It matters in the sense that every day matters. Is it catastrophic? Not by a long shot.
    3. It's up to you. Personally, I would probably cut back a bit, but nothing too major. I'd add another 500 calorie deficit to today, more if you can do so. On the other hand, if you prefer to just adhere to your normal routine, that's perfectly fine too.

If you get back on track, then the worst thing that'll happen is a slight delay to meet your goal, I'm talking about days, not weeks. If you don't get back on track, well that's truly the worst thing that'll happen because then your goals won't be met at all.

Bottom line - fuhgettabowdit.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'd just keep on keeping on for the most part. Maybe add a bit of deficit since you're eating at maintenance now or toss in a few extra walks over the next few days. One pound of fat = 3500 calories. Easy enough to recover from if you keep track and keep pushing :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you think of banking you calories on a weekly basis then you have time to make up some of those calories. Maybe eat at an extra 100 calorie deficit and add more exercise the rest of the week to help make up for yesterday. And don't beat yourself up. We've all been there and eaten over our calories.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    lilpedro13 wrote: »
    So yesterday I went 3000 calories over my 2000 calorie maintenance (5000 calories total) of just pop tarts, pizza, popcorn, and chocolate. Will I gain fat? Or will one day not matter? Also should I eat regular today?

I ate over 5,000 calories on Saturday. I am experiencing some weight gain. I was back to normal eating on Sunday. I will see over the next few days how much I actually gained. Usually, it takes me a week to 10 days to get rid of the fluid and excess weight from over eating. So, I'll see where I land in the next few days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Safest bet is just to go back to your regular plan. When I have a high day, I'm usually a little less hungry the next day. A little added deficit won't hurt if you're not hungry for everything in your normal plan. Don't severely restrict, though. That sets you up for a binge-restrict cycle. That's a headache. Eat normal to avoid a repeat binge.
  • lilpedro13
    lilpedro13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    lilpedro13 wrote: »

I ate over 5,000 calories on Saturday. I am experiencing some weight gain. I was back to normal eating on Sunday. I will see over the next few days how much I actually gained. Usually, it takes me a week to 10 days to get rid of the fluid and excess weight from over eating. So, I'll see where I land in the next few days.

How much weight gain? And do you mean the numbers on the scale went up or did you actually gain fat?