Terrified of carbs

Options

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Josh if you have an eating disorder please seek professional help.

If you are just a hardgainer/ectomorph then this article may help you learn how to bulk/add muscle. Note that it recommends 300 grams of carbs per day!

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-hardgainers-guide-to-guaranteed-muscle-growth/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I eat 200 grams of carbs or day and I'm female and I'm losing weight and feel fantastic. Avoid the carbs that make you feel gross- like I can't have much bread or refined sugar for various reasons- but don't fear the carbs!! Fruit is good for you! Potatoes are awesome! As long as you get enough protein and stay within your calories you will lose weight.

This is not good advice for someone showing signs of an eating disorder

I do not have an eating disorder.

Unfortunately, from the things you've posted recently, it's sounds like you probably do.
  • 1RogueRunner1
    1RogueRunner1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If OP does have an eating disorder or is heading down that path, mocking him for his fear foods is the opposite of helpful.
  • 1RogueRunner1
    1RogueRunner1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep, speak to a doctor.

How long have you been 'scared'?

Why do you have to write scared in single quotes? If you're trying to suggest that OP's fear isn't serious, please leave the thread.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    @joshperson195
    Serious question. Are you trying to lose weight?
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    @joshperson195

Just because I'm using MFP doesn't mean I'm trying to lose weight?

True- lots of people use it for gaining weight, recomp, gaining muscle, tracking nutrients...

I think many of us assumed you were trying to lose weight since you are afraid of carbs.

What are your goals?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @joshperson195

I'm not Carlos, but I'm thinking that's why he asked, and didn't just assume so.

As asked - what, exactly, are you trying to do here?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    not to try to speak for Josh, but he's said in other threads recently that he is trying to maintain at this point.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people feel this way about carbs. They've been demonized for so long by the media and those making money off the latest low carb diet book or website. IDK what you goals are but worrying about a few strawberries seems a little over the top. Low carb doesn't mean no carb.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my intake of fruits, grains and starches and stick to a low carb diet, but today I decided to make some protein fluff with frozen strawberries for a post-workout meal. I feel so guilty about the carbs from the strawberries! I know it's crazy, I mean... It's FRUIT. But I don't like how the sugar and carbs affect my body. Protein and fat I'm okay with. But carbs? Carbs scare me. Does anyone else have an irrational fear of carbs?

I do not fear them, but I well know that it is easy to eat too many. However, I have come to believe that eating two few is also a risk, particularly if you exercise. As a rule of thumb, if you are maintaining, a large fraction of exercise calories (plus a reasonable fraction of you BMR calories) should be high-quality complex carbs. It's the fuel upon which our engine runs.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wow. :cry:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If OP does have an eating disorder or is heading down that path, mocking him for his fear foods is the opposite of helpful.

Um... nobody is mocking Josh.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @joshperson195

I know that. My sister is using it to try to gain weight.

But I ask again...are you trying to lose weight?

Your dodging of the question makes me suspect that you are.
    That's why we're concerned for you. Someone as underweight as you are should not feel compelled to lose even more weight. If you are in fact trying to lose weight, that is indeed evidence of either an eating disorder, body dysmorphia or both.

Please don't brush this off or disregard our concerns as judging you. We're not judging you. We are reaching out to you in compassion because we care and we want you to get the help that you need.

Currently at a healthy weight and maintaining. Appreciate the concern.

Josh, if your avatar picture is current I am concerned because you are very thin. If it is not, I encourage you to post a current photograph at your healthy weight.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @joshperson195

That's why we're concerned for you. Someone as underweight as you are should not feel compelled to lose even more weight. If you are in fact trying to lose weight, that is indeed evidence of either an eating disorder, body dysmorphia or both.

Please don't brush this off or disregard our concerns as judging you. We're not judging you. We are reaching out to you in compassion because we care and we want you to get the help that you need.

You posted on another thread that you 'binged' on 2500 cals and felt awful about it...
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @joshperson195

Josh, if your avatar picture is current I am concerned because you are very thin. If it is not, I encourage you to post a current photograph at your healthy weight.

Yes can you please tell us if your photo is current or not? If you consider your profile pic to be your "healthy weight" then you are mistaken.