Ideas to boost energy and questions on BCAAS

Options
I am having trouble still adjusting to to my diet and then adding a much more active weekly routine. I have recently started doing body pump 3 times a week, cardio for an hour 3 times a week and next week will start seeing a trainer twice a week. It's taking a till. I want to maintain a high level of activity so I'm looking for suggestions. I do drink a little bit of coffee with sugar free creamer but I try to do that once or twice a week due to the calories. I also take a B- 12 supplement. I am eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day.

My question on the BCAAs. How often do you use them and when do you take them? Can you take too much of them? I have noticed they do help my energy levels during workouts and definetlu help my recovery but I want to be sure I'm getting the best use out of them.

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You can't really take "too much." Supposedly when taken intra-workout they help to maintain muscle mass while in a cut, and taken post-workout they help reduce muscular soreness. Not everyone is a fan, but I swear by them.

Switch to black coffee (or with skim milk) and you can have unlimited amounts since it's only about 25-calories. Your body will adjust eventually, give it time.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    couple of questions....
    1) Why are you doing body pump 3 times per week, cardio 3 times per week.... and trainer twice a week.... how many rest days?
    2) Are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't and never have and probably never will.

I am not one for any type of supplement as I feel they are well...not needed.

you notice a drop in energy due to the lowered calories I suspect...

eat good food and eat enough of it...

my question to you would be are you eating 1200-1400 gross calories or net...in other words are you eating back some of your exercise calories?

based on your diary you are not...so you are probably not feeding your workouts well.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you look at some of the research done on BCAAs and then decide if you need to supplement it or not.

https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are nothing special. The are already included in every quality protein source. No need to take them separately. The only time you would need them is if you do fasted cardio; even then, the only one benefiting you is leucine which you can buy for much cheaper than a BCAA blend.
  • jessandjerry2014
    jessandjerry2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I increased my activity that much to lose the weight. I'm also trying to build muscle and tone up. I hired the trainer to get my nutritional goals on target and get my workout goals on target. I also take a migraine medication that really affects my appetite. Makes me not hungry. That's why I'm asking:) I know I'm not doing it right and need some adjustments.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I increased my activity that much to lose the weight. I'm also trying to build muscle and tone up. I hired the trainer to get my nutritional goals on target and get my workout goals on target. I also take a migraine medication that really affects my appetite. Makes me not hungry. That's why I'm asking:) I know I'm not doing it right and need some adjustments.

The adjustments are this...eat more food...you are netting about 600-1000 calories a day...not healthy.

Use high calorie food if you have to.

You probably won't be losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time...they are counter intuitive goals. You can but you need a progressive load lifting program and body pump is not it.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are eating plenty of protein you shouldn't need to supplement with BCAAs. Used them once before for a few months and never noticed a difference.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Honestly, you cannot build muscle when you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to use strength training to maintain lean muscle. Based on that, I'd cut body pump if you're seeing a trainer twice a week. make sure you get at least 2 days of rest! and eat back 1/2 exercise calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

if you are in a deficit you are not going to build much muscle if any,especially doing all that exercise, you are overdoing it especially if you arent eating back any exercise calories,is your trainer certified in nutrition? if not find one that is.
  • galgenstrick
    edited January 2017
    Options

I suggest picking a goal. Building muscle or losing weight and stick with the one you choose. It's possible to reduce your body fat % while increasing muscle mass at the same time, but you'll need to eat at maintenance.

If you're looking for effective supplements then the ones with the most benefit will be these:

1. Protein powder if you're not hitting your protein goal.
    2. Creatine monohydrate to assist in intensity
    3. Vitamin D3 - for general health
    4. Omega 3s - for general health
    5. Multi vitamin if you don't tend to eat mostly nutritious food sources or eating low calories

Skip the BCAAs, they're just a waste of money if you're eating enough protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use BCAA for fasted workouts only (pre and during the workout).

What is your question on the energy part? If you drink coffee with sugar free creamer and perhaps sweetener in it instead of sugar this is not that many calories for a cup of coffee, and then there is always black. You could (not making this a recommendation) but supplement with caffeine tablets as well if you do not want to do coffee to get in any caffiene.

Cardio 3x, Body pump 3x and trainer 2x leaves no time for rest and recovery. And I predict that the 1200 - 1400 calories you are eating does not include any of this exercise that you are doing? or does it?

It will take a toll on your body if you do not rest properly and eat properly..
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I use BCAA for fasted workouts only (pre and during the workout).

What is your question on the energy part? If you drink coffee with sugar free creamer and perhaps sweetener in it instead of sugar this is not that many calories for a cup of coffee, and then there is always black. You could (not making this a recommendation) but supplement with caffeine tablets as well if you do not want to do coffee to get in any caffiene.

Cardio 3x, Body pump 3x and trainer 2x leaves no time for rest and recovery. And I predict that the 1200 - 1400 calories you are eating does not include any of this exercise that you are doing? or does it?

It will take a toll on your body if you do not rest properly and eat properly..

Agreed. For your goals you're going to want to weight train 3-5 days per week depending on the program you choose. Cardio 2x days per week 20 minute sessions max. 2x complete rest days minimum. That means some days you'll do weights in the morning and cardio at night if you're doing a 5 day/ week lifting program and still want to do cardio.
  • jessandjerry2014
    jessandjerry2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone!. I'll focus on my weight loss. Eat back 25- 50% of my exercise calories and just try to eat a bit more in general. If I am going to do this I want to do it right and do it healthy. My trainer is certified in nutrition. I just couldn't officially hire him until Saturday. That's why I'm asking questions. Thank you all again. I really appreciate it!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Honestly, you cannot build muscle when you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to use strength training to maintain lean muscle. Based on that, I'd cut body pump if you're seeing a trainer twice a week. make sure you get at least 2 days of rest! and eat back 1/2 exercise calories.

Seconding all of this.