Fitness newbies

Options
What beginner fitness programs is everybody using? Or does anyone have any suggestions for me, starting out this month and just trying to do 10000 steps or 3kms minimum walking each day and trying a 30 day challenge I've found on fb but would like so more ideas :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Steps do contribute to your activity level and can sometimes contribute to cardiovascular fitness.

Are any of your steps in the form of deliberate, fast paced walks? When you are walking briskly and having trouble making conversation.....then that's cardio. Some people need a faster pace (than walking) to feel a challenge.

When people lose weight they lose fat + lean muscle mass. I'm not sure if you are looking for weight loss, but a rounded strength training program is great for holding onto the lean muscle you already have. You can start with body weight exercises.......google a program called "You Are Your Own Gym"

There's another component - balance & flexibility. I like to do yoga once or twice a week.
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It varies a bit as to what I'm doing, trying to incorporate more stairs into the walk to make it a bit harder but coming from Australia and only being in Canada for 3 weeks I'm finding normal walks harder then normal anyways due to the extreme cold and trudging through the snow haha

I've also been doing crunches squats and planks at home most days, just curious if anyone is using any particular free plans online or just making it up as they go along