Weight loss - 1200cal too low?

Options
I want to lose 15lbs by march 20th (a wedding to attend). I'm 24 and 5ft10. I don't workout but I really want to start doing that as well. Is 1200 too low for somebody with my height and target weight? Would I be depriving myself or is it a normal plan?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight?
  • narmin92
    narmin92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight?

I weigh 155 and target is 140. I'm not a fit & lean girl either. Quite flabby actually. Have to change that too.
  • Kschmidt64
    Kschmidt64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and weigh 228 lbs. my doctor has me on a 1200 calorie diet. Eat foods low in fat, high in protein. Watch the carbs. Drink plenty of water. As for exercise, walking is free and it's a start. Throw in stairs if you can.
  • narmin92
    Options
    15lbs in two months is not unheard of for someone who is starting out and extremely overweight, but less typical a result for those who aren't overweight (and it seems your weight is within the normal range). 1200 is probably the number MFP spit out because you entered your information hoping for a 2lb per week loss. It isn't altogether enjoyable or particularly sustainable to eat so little, and if you resume your current habits after your special event, the weight typically comes right back + some.

You might try getting a digital food scale to measure out your portions so you know exactly how many calories you are eating per day. Measuring cups and estimations won't quite cut it for your goal. Only you can decide if 1200 is sustainable for you.

Most of the advice on MFP I've seen given to someone with your stats is that aiming for a .5 lb per week loss is a more realistic goal for long term success.

It is just a hope that I can get into a smaller size dress for the event, but of course if it's not healthy I would want to do it the right way. Thank you for your helpful answer! I guess I will work my way through a healthy meal plan for .5-1lbs per week.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    narmin92 wrote: »
    15lbs in two months is not unheard of for someone who is starting out and extremely overweight, but less typical a result for those who aren't overweight (and it seems your weight is within the normal range). 1200 is probably the number MFP spit out because you entered your information hoping for a 2lb per week loss. It isn't altogether enjoyable or particularly sustainable to eat so little, and if you resume your current habits after your special event, the weight typically comes right back + some.

You might try getting a digital food scale to measure out your portions so you know exactly how many calories you are eating per day. Measuring cups and estimations won't quite cut it for your goal. Only you can decide if 1200 is sustainable for you.

Most of the advice on MFP I've seen given to someone with your stats is that aiming for a .5 lb per week loss is a more realistic goal for long term success.

It is just a hope that I can get into a smaller size dress for the event, but of course if it's not healthy I would want to do it the right way. Thank you for your helpful answer! I guess I will work my way through a healthy meal plan for .5-1lbs per week.

Look into starting some resistance training as well! That can help a lot with aesthetics, and can help you feel more confident.

Lifting weights is a good option, but there are body weight resistance programs that are great also.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70lbs this year on 1200 a day. Although I do a lot of exercise and eat most of those calories back. If you're determined, 1200 is workable.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's a big challenge to jump straight to 1200 and to lose 15lbs in that timeframe, but neither is out of the range of possibility. Is 1200 enough for a tall woman? No clue. Your body may tell you when you're not eating enough if you pay attention. I know when I get really cold and have trouble sleeping I probably haven't eaten enough.

If you struggle with hunger or sticking to 1200, try a higher number for a while.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You want to make sure that you fuel your body enough so that your metabolism keeps functioning at its maximum capacity. Studies have shown that when humans cut down too much, our metabolism goes into "starvation mode" and starts retaining more fat. 1200 calories has been established as the threshold for starvation mode for most women - that said, most women aren't 5'10. You are also already at a healthy weight by medical standards (BMI).

My advice is this: try it. But don't beat yourself up if you find it hard to maintain. My guess is that at 5'10, you would still be losing weight at any calorie intake below 1500. It's better to find a calorie deficit you can maintain over the course of the next 9 weeks than to try to lose weight too quickly.

Exercise is also an excellent way to create a calorie deficit - and it can allow you to eat more calories. It's my trick anyway. One 40 minute walk adds something like 150 calories - so that my 1400 base calorie intake goes up to 1550. Not to mention, if what you want is to be "less flabby", weight training is your friend. 9 weeks is plenty of time to see results and get muscle tone.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kschmidt64 wrote: »
    I'm 52 and weigh 228 lbs. my doctor has me on a 1200 calorie diet. Eat foods low in fat, high in protein. Watch the carbs. Drink plenty of water. As for exercise, walking is free and it's a start. Throw in stairs if you can.

Doctors often have very little training in nutrition and weight loss.

Did your doctor suggest low fat......a 1980's method of dieting. Maybe he wants you to lower saturated fat. Plenty of people lose weight on high fat diets.

"Watch the carbs".....great advice when you have medical issues related to carbs. Medical issues give you more incentive to keep a lower carb diet......as a lifestyle change. Vegetarians often eat higher carbs. Weight loss is about calories.....not carbs.
  • narmin92
    Options
    Exercise is also an excellent way to create a calorie deficit - and it can allow you to eat more calories. It's my trick anyway. One 40 minute walk adds something like 150 calories - so that my 1400 base calorie intake goes up to 1550. Not to mention, if what you want is to be "less flabby", weight training is your friend. 9 weeks is plenty of time to see results and get muscle tone.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to weight training, can't do one push-up on my knees, very weak upper body strength. And most of the 'beginner' workouts I've looked up suggest less beginner-y programs, so I've been putting it off...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Look into starting some resistance training as well! That can help a lot with aesthetics, and can help you feel more confident.

Lifting weights is a good option, but there are body weight resistance programs that are great also.

This^

Strength training is great for inches.....especially if you're out of shape, this will help.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, if 1200 seems low and you feel hungy, try to do more sports and add the burned calories to your food account.

Like, you burn 400 calories, you eat 1200 + 400 and your daily food intake can be 1600.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »
    You want to make sure that you fuel your body enough so that your metabolism keeps functioning at its maximum capacity. Studies have shown that when humans cut down too much, our metabolism goes into "starvation mode" and starts retaining more fat. 1200 calories has been established as the threshold for starvation mode for most women - that said, most women aren't 5'10. You are also already at a healthy weight by medical standards (BMI).

My advice is this: try it. But don't beat yourself up if you find it hard to maintain. My guess is that at 5'10, you would still be losing weight at any calorie intake below 1500. It's better to find a calorie deficit you can maintain over the course of the next 9 weeks than to try to lose weight too quickly.

Starvation mode in the context you are using it does not exist.

1200 calories will leave a lot of people hungry, lethargic, and lacking in nutrients, but it will not put one into "starvation mode" and cause them to retain more fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

No one will know your dress size unless you tell them. If the size number means that much to you personally, look for a brand and style that is cut larger so the number you want will fit you. If you compare dresses from different makers, you will find a 2-3 size range that will fit on any given day.
    http://www.today.com/style/jeans-don-t-fit-here-s-explanation-inconsistency-women-s-t100419
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    iv been on 1200 a day since i was 5 ft 3 230 pounds just fine. But might be a bit hard to lose 15 pounds in that time at your weight. Goodluck though xD