Shoes?

Options
Can anyone recommend some shoes I can wear at the gym. I have a pair of New Balance and they are quite old. I mainly do swim classes and Dance classes and I am finding when I do my dance classes I get a sharp pain in my arch?

Thanks!

Replies

• abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Google around for running/sneaker stores in your area that actually do shoe fitting. You do NOT want to purchase shoes based on looks and price alone, especially if you say you are already experiencing pain.

ETA: here are a few I found for tampa. You do NOT have to be a runner to go to these stores, call first and ask what they do for shoe fittings (unless the sites say, did not poke around)

http://www.feetfirstrunning.com/
    http://www.runcenter.com/store.htm
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It just depends on what's commfy for you. But yeah, don't buy shoes because they are cute. For me, I love my Nikes. They are perfect for my needs, but it took an entire day finding the right fit for me!
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    some orthopedic places will do it. They may even be able to specially make shoes for you. ****'s Sporting Goods and places like that recommend shoes based on what the shoe is supposed to do for you, unless they have information otherwise, so they may not be the best places to go. However, they can be very helpful if you can't afford those other places. Sometimes it just takes trying a bunch of different shoes until you find the one that fits you. I know I spend 15 mins per pair of shoes when I purchase new ones, even if it's just a newer model of my old pair. Keep in mind that the more you wear the shoes, the harder you work while wearing them, and terrain, means you need to replace you're shoes more often. I use them for the gym and walking my dogs, I have to replace about every 6 months or so. My husband uses them for PT and walking the dogs and he replaces every 6 months or so as well. My friend runs a minimum of 7 miles per day outside, she has to replace hers every 4 months or so.
  • debln
    debln Posts: 3
    Options
    The best information you have received is to go to a store that fits those shoes and works with you... as you do with them, to find the right fit and function for you. You also want to go to a store that carries many brands so you will get the right one. I recommend the store in International Plaza near the food court... seem to have a great selection and (reasonably) knowledgeable staff. They also have a running track and treadmills for you to work with as you are testing the shoes. Allow plenty of time as you will probably be spending more than you expect to get the right shoe for your purpose and fit.

Old shoes are very dangerous... and can cause lots of problems. Be sure to get rid of the ones you have as soon as you can get some new ones. They also last longer if not worn every day, but that means having a couple of pairs. If you know the life span of a pair is about 6 months, consider getting the new pair at three months and then rotating them... a new pair every three months but continuing with a "broken in" pair that is going to last some shorter amount of time...

As you lose weight, and become more fit, your choice of activities (functional needs) may change along with your size (fit)... so frequent visits to the store make even more sense along the journey. It is also a nice reward, no matter what the accomplishment. Have fun with it!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you are having arch pain, you might need additional support in that area. I was having severe arch pain before I discovered I needed orthotics. I now am at a point where I am able to use really good retail supports (bought at a sports store--not the drug store!). They cost $15-20 each, but they make all the difference.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    glad that someone more local (I am in CT) was able to recommend a place for you. Something I like about the place I go locally is a 30 day return window. WORN. They do not care about the condition of the shoes, you bring them back, return them (not for a store credit either!) no questions asked. Their priority is to great you a great fit. The price tag on my new pair of Asics was $125 and I had a $10 coupon (rare) and let me tell you, TOTALLY worth every penny. Most sneakers are good for 350 miles or thereabout so you can figure out how long they will last based on how active you are. I only wear these for running, older ones for gym.