Nutrition & fitness during pregnancy

Options
I'm not really sure where to post about this topic but figured here was a good fit.

My boyfriend and I have been talking recently about having a baby. I've always been super keen to be a mom but wanted to get closer to my weight and fitness goals before we conceived because I wanted to be healthy for our baby. Now that it's finally a reality, I'm a little nervous. I've worked really hard to get to where I am and am worried about getting proper nutrition while pregnant (I don't want to gain too much excess weight, but want to ensure I'm getting the proper nutrients). And I'm also worried about my exercise routine. I work out 4-5 days a weight doing a mix of cardio, strength, and HIIT.

I know this post is a bit all over the place, I guess I'm having a hard time articulating my concerns but hopefully it makes enough sense that some of you might be able to offer advice :)

Thanks!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can look at either of these groups:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant - for women who are currently pregnant.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/111647-planning-for-pregnancy - for women who are planning to become pregnant.

If you'd like. Both groups have people in your situation and have info to share!

Also, this is a post by one of the users about weight gain during pregnancy that I love!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

In terms of nutritional needs - as soon as you start to try to conceive, start taking a daily pre-natal vitamin with folate in it (such as Materna). Folate prevents neural tube defects, and the vitamins also have the appropriate levels of vitamins that you need when trying to get pregnant and while you're pregnant (such as iron, B, etc.). Also, speak to your doctor about it if you get a chance. They can guide you in the right direction too and help answer any questions you have.

I have a link on my other computer that has recommended nutrient levels (It's a Canadian recommendation site) that I refer to once in a while too. I will try to remember to get that for you when I get to that computer. You can search your own government websites for info too.

In general, if you have a regular fitness routine prior to pregnancy, you can continue it through pregnancies. However, you have to be mindful of how your body feels and not push it as far if it's not prepared to do so. Pregnancy is a great time to maintain fitness, but not the best time to try to significantly improve fitness and go for world records. Also, if you do high contact sports, you may consider stopping those *after* you find out you are pregnant.

Depending what you do for strength, cardio, or HIIT, you may just need to modify as you go along. For example, laying on your back to do bench press is not advised in the 3rd trimester (possibly before depending on you and your baby). Weights are great, but watch out for loosening ligaments - lift carefully. Cardio - you can do it if it feels good. Kegels and squats are great for your pelvic floor. Exercise is one of the best things you can do during pregnancy as that is the only thing that even comes close to preparing you to deliver!