Massive carb cravings! What foods satisfy that need.

Options
That bread, pasta, cookie loving need. Please no more baby carrots, I'm afraid I'll turn orange very soon.

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with peanut butter ❤
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Bread, pasta and cookies.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.
  • concavenotconvex
    concavenotconvex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @BiomedDent I forgot about peanut butter! :D
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @Savagedistraction peanut butter banana oatmeal seems to be what I'll be having for dinner. Thank you!

@cityruss I can't. :(
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    @Savagedistraction peanut butter banana oatmeal seems to be what I'll be having for dinner. Thank you!

Enjoy!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Are you okay with starchy vegetables? Potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro, parsnips, pumpkin and winter squashes. They're higher in carbs, but you can portion them if you're trying to go low carb all around. Also up your fats and protein - poultry thighs, nuts, avocados, fatty seafood to name a few examples.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I just did my first attempt at cauliflower rice....It was most excellent smothered in gravy (a few carbs in the gravy) and would definitely curb those cravings for me (mashed potato cravings). Now, the cookie cravings are a different story, peanut butter might do it...I like celery and peanut butter. I did have a banana with peanut butter the other night and that worked well for a sweet craving! Good luck!
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @Hamsibian you mentioned potatoes and my first thought was leek and potato soup. :/ Going for low carb though I do well with my protein, though some extra eel or salmon never hurts. Thank you.
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @suruda going to look up cauliflower rice...I know about half a dozen rice recipes, but this one is knew. Peanut butter does seem like the cure all. Thank you for the new recipe.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    @concavenotconvex I am low carb as well, around 100 net. That way I feel good but not too restrictive with my options. I'm really curious though, how do you prepare eel??
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ok, if you are going for banana and oatmeal, here is an idea: cookies. Mash up 40g oats into 100g banana (the riper the better) with a pinch of salt & cinnamon. I mix in 10g protein powder because it gives it a more baked product feel--I think the protein acts a little like gluten in giving it a bit of structure & it browns more like baked goods. The protein powder isn't essential, though. If you have the calories for it, add pecans or whatever nuts you have on hand. The kids and DH like this one.

ETA: Sorry forgot the baking part. Spray a little circle of canola (or whatever oil) on parchment and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until brown. I make 5 cookies from one 150g batch. They also freeze well if you have bananas about to get too ripe. Just put them on wax paper & freeze. Pop them onto parchment and bake from frozen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    @Hamsibian you mentioned potatoes and my first thought was leek and potato soup. :/ Going for low carb though I do well with my protein, though some extra eel or salmon never hurts. Thank you.

Serious question...if you're going for low carb, how do oats and banana qualify? One serving of my Coach's Oats is 27 grams of carbs...a banana is around 27 grams of carbs as well...213 grams of potato is about 37 grams of carbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused. Why can you have oatmeal, bananas, and potatoes but not bread and pasta?
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @cwolfman13 While I don't buy the devil carbs hookum, I'm not trying to waste calories on a snack when I could save it for dinner. I'm looking for alternatives not slandering the good name of carbohydrates which you so defend. I enjoy bread, and pasta, a little too much over the holiday. Gained four pounds. Need to restrict so i can enjoy them in moderation again. I promise i won't insult carbs again.
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @Hamsibian Asian markets usually have it and I recommend you get it cleaned up there, don't get any eel blood on you it's poisonous. Freshwater is better in taste. Okay. Eel is like fish. You can smoke it, grill it, fry it, sear it. It just takes a shorter cooking time since the meat cooks fast. Pepper, chili paste, a little salt.

@ahoy_m8 that sounds like something my niece would love to make as a snack for her soccer team. Thanks.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As cwolfman points out, they are not low carb. This is with 20g pecans. 282 kcal without nuts.
    Arg... cannot get image to post... see below.
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @cwolfman13 @kimnny72 I do half servings. I thought of the potatoes never said I'd have them.i thought of the bread too doesn't mean I'm going to eat an entire loaf.
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 I'd be helping her with the oven. She loves to bake and it's better than someone taking chips or cupcakes as an aftergame snack. When the season starts back up.