Indulgence Days

Options
stephenearllucas
stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
edited January 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I decided I should create a list of days this year to "indulge," i.e., just relax and eat for special occasions; I came up with this list:

1. New Year's Day
2. My birthday
3. Valentine's Day
4. Easter Sunday
5. Memorial Day
6. Independence Day
7. Labor Day
8. Wife's birthday
9. Our anniversary
10. Thanksgiving Day
11. Christmas Eve
12. Christmas Day
13. New Year's Eve

Anybody else have a list to share?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Anniversary, Canada Day, birthday, Xmas.

I want them more often, but not sure if it's worth the risk since I can eat a lot.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You inspired me!! this is my list :

1.- My birthday
    2.- Xmas dinner
    3.-New years

That's it..what a sad list lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Saturday.

:laugh:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Moderation is far more sustainable. Why restrict "indulgence" to 10 days?

^^ this
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't really have indulgence days. I treat myself to some things I enjoy on weekends, special days or if I really want it, but it's just for a meal....sometimes more (takeout portions can be huge).

I just can't physically eat the way I used to.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sundays with my friends!

Honestly, I just go with weekly average. As long as I'm at maintenance or under (prefer under right now) for the week, I'm good!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

This, too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

For me, indulging only on certain days is me eating 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day depending on how much sweets I eat. I do eat moderately the rest of the year, but moderate isn't the amounts I want to eat. My IDGAF days are me eating what I want when I want in amounts I want.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Vacation, I eat giant *kitten* meals on vacation!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

For me, indulging only on certain days is me eating 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day depending on how much sweets I eat. I do eat moderately the rest of the year, but moderate isn't the amounts I want to eat. My IDGAF days are me eating what I want when I want in amounts I want.

I see where you are coming from. I suppose that if you know one of those days is coming up, you can maybe plan damage limitation around it.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Every single day a little "something" ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Any day I earn the calories.
  • jazzyspender
    jazzyspender Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me, when I'd give myself an "indulgence day" I'd find myself overdoing it...like I need to eat every good thing I can think of on this one day! My indulgence day would quickly become more of a binge day! LOL not good! So instead if I just eat a smaller amount of something I want every once in a while it ends up being a much better plan for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm going on four years maintenance in just a few months and I've found that if I eat well most of the time and exercise regularly, I can otherwise do pretty much whatever without issue. I'd say pretty much every weekend involves some kind of indulgence as we are pretty social and there's always something going on.

That said, I'm not really one to go off the rails...I don't like being uncomfortably full really and also, my natural ques regulate things. For example, if we go to a big dinner party where there's lots of food and drink, I'm normally not very hungry the next day...at least not in the morning so I naturally reach for something small for breakfast or skip it altogether. We're going out Sunday for my mom's birthday to our favorite New Mexican restaurant...portions are pretty huge...brunch is around 10:30 and I likely won't have much appetite until dinner and even then, it's likely to be something lighter like some roasted cod with asparagus and mushrooms or something. I've found that I don't really have to consciously do these things, it just happens.

My maintenance also hovers around 3,000 calories give or take, so I have quite a bit of room to work with.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If that works for you it's cool, but I don't plan days. They just seem to happen now and then.... If eating out happens and I want a big meal I just have it. Or if one evening I want a bunch of cookies with an ice cream chaser, then...I go with it. On the flip side, I may not overeat on my bday or a holiday. It all evens out in the end.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have one indulgence day a month (ladies will guess which!). I only started doing that in the last six months, before that I was scared that if I indulged, I'd just end up falling off the wagon, but actually it works really well for me. I plan ahead for it, pick out all the naughty things I don't normally eat, pig out, then the next day I'm so happy to get back to healthy eating.

Although, the fact that my indulgence foods are all things that would make me physically ill if I ate them regularly does help.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who lost 150 pounds and has kept it off for 6 years. What he does is he starts losing weight in preparation for various special holidays. He drops a couple pounds and then feels fine eating like a beast knowing he has already "paid" for it.