Any advice on how to begin womens powerlifting

are there any programs or something i can follow.. or is getting a trainer my best bet.. even if i have a trainer i want to know what i am doing anyways.. any info or tips???

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Buy the book Starting Strength. Even if you don't follow the program it teaches you all the compound movements with proper form.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    SS is a good read, if for nothing else than the explanations of the lifts. My ex-wife started with it, but very quickly switched to 5/3/1, and made better progress with that. Your mileage may vary with either.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like StrongLifts 5x5
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Join a powerlifting gym.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Read Starting Strength, read through Strong Lifts 5x5. Pick one. Watch the videos, and get a trainer for a period of time to watch/correct form. Make sure they know your goals. Do not pay to have someone watch you do burpees.

all of this, but especially the bold. i found it helpful just to know that a powerlifting trainer was what i was looking for. otherwise 'trainer' is like 'doctor' these days. it really helps if you specify trainer for what.

any time i'm looking or curious about who's out there, i just google my city's name and the word 'powerlifting'. that tends to isolate things well enough to let me know where to start. but starting strength, yup; it's a great diy source.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Read Starting Strength, read through Strong Lifts 5x5. Pick one. Watch the videos, and get a trainer for a period of time to watch/correct form. Make sure they know your goals. Do not pay to have someone watch you do burpees.

all of this, but especially the bold. i found it helpful just to know that a powerlifting trainer was what i was looking for. otherwise 'trainer' is like 'doctor' these days. it really helps if you specify trainer for what.

any time i'm looking or curious about who's out there, i just google my city's name and the word 'powerlifting'. that tends to isolate things well enough to let me know where to start. but starting strength, yup; it's a great diy source.

Right. I mean, I got lucky with a trainer that just had very nice form on the squat, bench and deadlift though not a powerlifter. Eventually I had to move on, watched Rippetoe videos, that worked until I got more advanced. You just have to keep looking, watching, learning. I do have an online coach now. That took me to the next level after I did what I could with SS, SL, and Wendlers.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    edited January 2017
    I started on my own, watched tons of videos online, made videos of myself but I reached a point where I had to get a coach. It helped a lot, you would think that moving your butt one inch higher wouldn't make a difference but it does, all of the sudden you feel all the correct muscles activate and you lift much heavier.

I've known of people who have done pretty well by themselves at garage gyms but if you are a beginner and wants this for real, I would say join a power lifting gym, plus it's always more fun having people there to support you. Also a global gym won't let you drop weights or use chalk lol
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Read: The new rules of lifting for women. It will teach you everything you need to know!
  • EdithSimmons1
    EdithSimmons1 Posts: 3 Member
    Read starting strength. I started out with strong lifts program, but am currently using 531. My first powerlifting meet is this Feb. My tip would be to not let your form go to the wayside for the sakes of a higher weight on the bar. Good luck!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Depends where you are starting from. Getting a lifting base and form down is really the first key. They are many programs out there to use. Are they any powerlifting gyms near you or people that do powerlifting. Someone who has tried different training programs & read up on them. This can also be a great source of information , training partners, spotters and support.just getting a trainer is not always the key. There is a wealth of information on the net now from articles to training programs . I have done powerlifting on and off for years and was lucky to have people with a wealth of knowledge who where willing to share and help you at a few of the gyms and met them through going to meets.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    SS and Stronglifts are basically your best bet if you want to "read" your way there. In my opinion the three compound movements you'll need to be a successful power lifter can only be coached through community. I'd suggest becoming part of that community...as I find it one of the friendliest and most welcoming of our current fitness industry. I'd be extremely weary of any powerlifting coach that only trains you in a 1 on 1 environment, and does not expose you to a wide variety of lifters and people with like-minded goals.
  • CupcakeCardio
    CupcakeCardio Posts: 50 Member
    This has been a very baby steps type journey for me .. but ive done a dead lift... and im proud lol
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    This has been a very baby steps type journey for me .. but ive done a dead lift... and im proud lol

You should be! I'm just starting out as well, and discovering that I love and am actually decent at squats (shoulder press not so much, haha!)