Weight Loss and Junkfood

Options
Hi ladies and gents,

let me get this straight: apparently, as long as you stay eat the daily calories you're supposed to, and don't eat over that limit, you should lose weight. But, what if those daily calories consist of only bad food, like noodles or burgers for example? What if you are able to fill the daily calories with only those foods, but nothing healthy beside that? Will you still lose weight? Or any other unpleasant side effects?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Burn more than you take in=weight loss
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents,

let me get this straight: apparently, as long as you stay eat the daily calories you're supposed to, and don't eat over that limit, you should lose weight. But, what if those daily calories consist of only bad food, like noodles or burgers for example? What if you are able to fill the daily calories with only those foods, but nothing healthy beside that? Will you still lose weight? Or any other unpleasant side effects?

There's no such thing as "bad" food and yes calories are the only thing that matter
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will still lose weight.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight. Weight loss and health can be mutually exclusive issues, but not always.

Still skeptical? Mull over the astounding results of Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet consisting of Twinkies and other "junk" food.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Counterintuitive though it may seem, studies consistently find flexible dieters to be more successful than individuals adhering to rigid dietary guidelines. Take, for example, this study which actually found that “attempts to enforce highly rigid control over eating seems counterproductive to weight control efforts and may disrupt more appropriate food choice behaviors.” - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550

Life is too short to let it be dictated by your diet. By all means stick to a generally “healthy” diet, but don’t be afraid to indulge in your favorite treats
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of on that plan.

It works.

But I'd add that you should make a special effort to get in an extra bit of fiber. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents,

Why do you perceive noodles or burgers to be "bad?" Noodles are just noodles...it's a carb...carbs aren't the devil. In fact, carbs come in pretty darned handy when you're getting your fitness on. Burgers are just ground beef...nothing inherently evil about beef.

I think you may need to take a step back a really think about why you're demonizing certain foods. The key is to achieve your calorie goals (whether to lose, maintain, or gain) and eat a balanced diet...get your vitamins and minerals...get your protein and essential fats...and get your fitness on. That's it...it's really simple...people just like to stupefy **** to the Nth degree.