How did I lose 5lbs in just over a week whilst still overeating?!

Options
lazygingerbread
lazygingerbread Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so all through Christmas I ate a lot (as one does at Christmas) so after new year I decided to start tracking food again. My weight on New Years Day was 155.5lbs, but according to my logging I've been averaging about 500 cals a day too much (I'm more logging to keep an eye on my intake than anything), as in my goal is 1600 per day and its mostly been 2000-2400 ish. I weighed in at 152.5 on 3rd Jan (I just assumed it was a water weight loss) and then yesterday at 153.8lbs. Just stepped on the scales this morning and it said 150.5lbs!

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after the loo/ before my shower, and I always do the reading 3 times to make sure its consistent. I then reweighed immediately after my shower and it said 151.25, but that's still a big jump!

I'm just so confused because I've been very inactive these past 2 weeks (I have loads of assignments due soon so I've been glued to my desk and barely left the house), and I've definitely been overdoing it with my calorie intake. When I stepped on the scales yesterday I was 100% expecting to have gained at least a pound, if not more.

Also, I did mfp consistently for 2 years a while back so I like to think i'm fairly good at counting accurately.

Can anyone understand why this is? Should I be concerned that I've lost so much weight in a short time without even trying?! (by the way I had a blood test before Christmas and my thyroid levels were normal)

(And sorry for the long post!)

Replies

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lost about 1 kg in November and December as well, despite not logging anything and having pretty much what I wanted and being a couch potato. I was rather surprised.

It does make me wonder if everyone has a perfect number of daily calories where they will lose weight, slowly but steadily, without even trying!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Your 2000 Calories may still be a deficit. Your weight changes much more rapidly because of water weight than it does because of changes to your underlying fat level. Sodium, exercise, time of the month, food in your system are four of the usual culprits. Use a trending weight app or web site to try and figure out your underlying weight level. Realise that you have a weight range; not a set weight!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

If you are normally very active and lately have been inactive you will lose water weight as your glycogen stores let go of water.
    If you keep eating above maintenance calories though you will gain, it just takes a wee while to show up on the scales sometimes.