Ask a Chef

Options
mweckler
mweckler Posts: 623 Member
Hello one and all, I was in a comment thread the other day and answered some questions about cooking, and other culinary tools. I jokingly said I should start a "ask a chef" thread. I have been in the culinary world for close to 20 years, I am currently and Executive Chef, I also have attempted culinary school twice to earn a degree. In culinary school I had the opportunity to learn from an amazing 2 time Gold Medal Pastry Olympic winner, and also 2 time Food Network competition Pastry Chef. I found out that I was really quite awesome at making pastries and what not as well. I have a lot of recipes and am tweaking some to make them more healthy. So fell free to post your questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Replies

• TouchofFruit
    TouchofFruit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    whats your favorite vegetarian dish? Recipe please?
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    What kafir leaves can be substituted with? Life and death question
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    How many knives should one have? I have a paring knife and a santoku (the ex got the chef's knife). The santoku is used most often and for chicken breast, pork, beef, fruit and vegetables.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What was the very first thing you learned to cook?
    What was your biggest kitchen disaster?
    What do you absolutely make from scratch and what is not worth it?
    Do you have any bread recipes or bread baking tips?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pastries please! Your favorite to make and recipe please..

Are you making a cookbook? Do you have your own blog?
  • mweckler
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on Pop Tarts?

@km8907 They are the best tasting sugar filled choice of breakfast pasties out there. A million times better than Toaster Strudels... They do not even give enough icing for one pastry in that little pouch. If you mean health wise the are TERRIBLE.
  • mweckler
    Options
    whats your favorite vegetarian dish? Recipe please?

@TouchofFruit my Food Service Director is a vegetarian and I made here a Sweet Potato Kale Slider that she loves. I will PM you the recipe.
  • mweckler
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    What kafir leaves can be substituted with? Life and death question

@dc6088 Well I am not sure where you reside but I would use lemon and lime zest to try to replicate the flavor. It will not be a perfect match, but in the USA these are difficult to come by. Either omit them completely or like I said equal parts lemon and lime zest will work.
  • mweckler
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    How many knives should one have? I have a paring knife and a santoku (the ex got the chef's knife). The santoku is used most often and for chicken breast, pork, beef, fruit and vegetables.

@MsAmandaJean it is personal preference I have many many manu of varying sizes and shapes lol. A good 6 or 8 inch chef's knife, also known as a utility knife, can do most anything you need to do in the kitchen. The santoku knife is a chef's knife just a Japanese style, it can be used for most things the chef's knife can do, except the tip of the chef's knife is pointed and the santoku of rounded. If you are breaking down whole chickens or working with proteins that have bones, get a flexible boning knife, and a paring knife. The biggest thing is making sure they are honed regularly and keep them sharp, as you are more likely to cut yourself on a dull knife.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What was the very first thing you learned to cook?
    What was your biggest kitchen disaster?
    What do you absolutely make from scratch and what is not worth it?
    Do you have any bread recipes or bread baking tips?

@Lounmoun Biggest kitchen disaster I was preparing for a catering event and we needed candied pecans for salads, they went into the oven, I went on to do other things as life does not stop, I then got distracted by shiny things until a very odd smell caught my attention. Nothing snaps you back to reality like burning sugar coated pecans. So that was a costly mistake.

When my kids were smaller than they are now, all they ate was Mac and Cheese, so I decided CHEF DAD will make them Mac and Cheese. I made pasta from scratch, I made the cheese sauce from scratch, I made this stuff PERFECT!!!! You could not get this quality from a restaurant. I proudly presented the dish to my little people, they took one look at it and said Ewwww why isn't it yellow? So yeah it is better to open the box and serve at that point.

For any sort of baking use a scale, also whatever recipe you are using make sure it is laid out in weight. Baking is very precise, so you get the best results when weighing out your ingredients. I have a few bread recipes from a quick 4 ingredient French bread, to a homemade banana bread I just pulled out of the oven.
  • mweckler
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

@RoxieDawn I one day would like to have a cookbook, I am just not sure what to do to start the process, so anyone with insight or anyone that would like to be my agent feel free to contact me lol. I do not have a blog either, I am lame I know. I have a ton of recipes and a terrible sense of humor, I would fit in quite well on the food network lol. Maybe one day I will figure out what blogging is and start one.

I like to bake cheesecakes, various breads, I just made Creme Brulee around the holidays. The problem with baking is I tend to make sweets and then I tend to eat the sweets which is not good when one is trying to lose weight. At work today just playing around I made homemade banana bread, and bananas foster bread pudding.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Will you marry me and cook me foods every day? Anything. I'm not fussy.

@louise1491 I am already married so sadly it is not legal where I live to have more than one spouse, plus I can barely handle the one I have lol. I can cater for you or cook and ship you foods. Or I can help you make sense of recipes, and show you that they really can be easy to follow.
  • mweckler
    Options
    @mweckler:
    What is the quickest pastry to make at home from scratch?

@Cutaway_Collar quickest pastry to make are home, as in prepare the pieces, or cook time, or overall start to finish? It also depends on how many times you have made the recipes and how comfortable you are with what you are doing. So the quickest pastry to make at home would be a microwave poptart.
  • mweckler
    Options
    @Louise1491 LOL!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

@RoxieDawn I one day would like to have a cookbook, I am just not sure what to do to start the process, so anyone with insight or anyone that would like to be my agent feel free to contact me lol. I do not have a blog either, I am lame I know. I have a ton of recipes and a terrible sense of humor, I would fit in quite well on the food network lol. Maybe one day I will figure out what blogging is and start one.

I like to bake cheesecakes, various breads, I just made Creme Brulee around the holidays. The problem with baking is I tend to make sweets and then I tend to eat the sweets which is not good when one is trying to lose weight. At work today just playing around I made homemade banana bread, and bananas foster bread pudding.

I do love to cook and bake. And I actually like to bake for others more so than myself. Baking is relaxing and challenging as well.

I actually make a really good healthy cheesecake myself. I am not a bread connoisseur, but I do love making homemade cinnamon and raisin bread, banana bread is next in line for me!

No one in my house likes Creme Brulee but I could eat that stuff every day. Hopefully you can share this recipe!

Good luck with everything.. Being a chef sounds exciting!