Does drinking a lot of water really help?

Options
I know, this may seem like a silly question. I just really struggle with consuming enough; I usually average about 40 ounces a day. It isn't that I don't like it, I just don't tend to drink a lot of anything throughout the day. I've read that we should drink at least 64 ounces and I've also read not to stress about it because we get it in our fruits/vegetables/teas/coffee etc.

So, does it really speed up weight loss? Have you noticed a difference with weight or anything else?

Replies

• Dia_DoesThis
    Dia_DoesThis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's calorie free. It has many benefits though. It's prolly the purest thing you can out into your body. Our bodies are also made up of mostly water
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My understanding: staying hydrated keeps the systems in your body running smoothly. That is a good thing and can impact weight loss indirectly, such as if you tend to munch when you feel lousy . Drinking plenty of water can also help you avoid over eating, which CAN impact weight loss directly.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's calorie free. It has many benefits though. It's prolly the purest thing you can out into your body. Our bodies are also made up of mostly water

Yes to what? It doesn't speed up weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Water is essential, but the body is capable of absorbing it from most of the foods/drinks we take in. It can impact weight loss on a WATER LOSS level. If one increases sodium immensely, water is retained in the body. Drink more water and water is released. But again, that's water weight, no "real" weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KDC1229
    KDC1229 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    schwest76 wrote: »
    I know, this may seem like a silly question. I just really struggle with consuming enough; I usually average about 40 ounces a day. It isn't that I don't like it, I just don't tend to drink a lot of anything throughout the day. I've read that we should drink at least 64 ounces and I've also read not to stress about it because we get it in our fruits/vegetables/teas/coffee etc.

So, does it really speed up weight loss? Have you noticed a difference with weight or anything else?

• KDC1229
    KDC1229 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    KDC1229 wrote: »

Water is cleansing and our body needs it to remove toxins so does it help with weight loss:... YOU BETCHA'
    It is a natural diuretic and energy stimulator while at the same time cleanses your entire body.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have to drink enough water or I get dizzy...aka low blood pressure.

As well I get thirsty etc.

But does it help with weight loss...sure indirectly.

If you are full with water you are less likely to eat or think you are hungry.
    Often times people confuse thirst with hunger.
    Requires more movement to go get the water and go pee a lot.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I love your answer. Water doesn't help me lose weight directly. But it helps me indirectly in controlling my hunger and in learning not to mistake hunger for thirst. It also makes my skin look better. And it makes a dramatic improvement in my dry, itchy winter skin problem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I always feel hungry in the AM but it goes away when I start drinking tea - I was actually thirsty and am not truly hungry until after nature calls. So yes, it helps me indirectly by saving me calories when I get my hunger cues confused with thirst cues, a phenomenon not unique to me.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It has health benefits. Weight loss benefits are unclear. Try to get 2 to 3 liters a day though.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    OP, figure out what works for you. Drinking water has never made me feel full. If I'm hungry, I'll eat. Drinking water is not the solution for that in my case. I try to sip water throughout the day, but really, if I drank as much water as people on this site suggest, I'd get fired from my job. Some of us can't get out to pee 1-2 times per hour.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Water helps me feel full, helps me feel better. And if you drink water...it does help metabolism - your body still has to process the water, but at 0 calories, you run at a deficit. Plus it keeps me from drinking higher calorie stuff.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Edit: Doesn't speed up weight loss. For me, the difference was in significant reduction in sugar and other cravings, clearer skin, increased energy, rarely if ever getting headaches, a more sensitive palette for food, better sleep, not mistaking dehydration for hunger, and just feeling more relaxed and calm in general.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Drinking water doesn't have anything to do with weight loss other than pushing out excess retention and sodium. It has nothing to do with losing fat. Not everything "health" is about weight loss...being properly hydrated is good for your body...it's healthy...doesn't have anything to do with weight loss.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just really struggle with consuming enough; I usually average about 40 ounces a day. It isn't that I don't like it, I just don't tend to drink a lot of anything throughout the day. I've read that we should drink at least 64 ounces and I've also read not to stress about it because we get it in our fruits/vegetables/teas/coffee etc.

Forty ounces a day on top of what you're eating is plenty, unless you're working out hard or otherwise losing a lot of fluid. Drink to thirst instead of stressing over forcing fluids. The whole "eight 8-oz. glasses a day" thing has no scientific basis, nor does "drink half your weight in ounces," nor does the idea that you can't count any fluid but water. It makes no significant difference to your metabolism, either. The primary weight-loss benefit is if you're drinking water instead of sugary, high-calorie sodas and coffee drinks.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I love your answer. Water doesn't help me lose weight directly. But it helps me indirectly in controlling my hunger and in learning not to mistake hunger for thirst. It also makes my skin look better. And it makes a dramatic improvement in my dry, itchy winter skin problem.

what they said. drinking more water has helped me become more aware of true hunger and cut down on snacking. I don't think about food as much if I'm hydrated.

Plus I notice a difference in my skin when I'm drinking enough water and when I'm not. My skin is clearer and less dry and itchy in general if I'm hydrated.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It's helped me, personally, have more energy and feel less bloated.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel less bloated when I drink lots of water. I drink 100 oz+ per day. Even during TOM, I no longer retain water or feel bloated if I drink this amount of water daily.