THE MILITARY DIET

Options
Female 24 currently weigh 9.9 ans I started the military diet today after watching how to loose weight well on channel 4

Replies

• ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Don't do this. The military doesn't even do this. An overzealous drop in calories will result in lack of proper nutrients and calories and WEIGHT regain will be quite easy.
    Follow MFP's guide on losing 1lb a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Without sounding like an idiot... the doctor and nutritionist on channel 4 seem to think it's ok to do as three days isn't long enough to damage your body?
    I've been following guidelines and loosing weight in moderation but I've been extremely curious about this diet and need to see the three days out. I admit day one has me eating more carbs than I would any other day but I'm willing to see this through and give my honest opinion
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you're 2ft tall you are already a normal healthy weight so crash dieting is unnecessary and unhealthy.

what do you think you'll gain by doing this for 3 days?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

The military diet.

It's so dumb- it's an arbitrary mix of different foods that only works because it is a massive caloric deficit.

If you really "need" to try it go ahead but you probably won't even be able to stick to it and it's a waste of time anyways.

Never trust TV doctors- they aren't even doctors usually and they generally give terrible advice when it comes to weight loss!

Actually I've found that the weight loss community is probably the worst place to turn to for information on how to lose weight - you're likely to be fed nonsense, fad diets, and cleanses. Try the body building community instead and look up cutting weight or reducing body fat percentage - they actually know a lot more about how to drop fat (and gain muscle) than Dr. Oz or any of his copycats.

Also, you do know slow weight loss is BETTER than fast weight loss right? Slow weight loss tends to be mostly body fat and low health risk. Fast weight loss tends to be mostly water and muscle and has many health risks and negative side effects. If you've been following the myfitnesspal guidelines and it's working, why change your strategy? You're already making progress.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    If you do a forum search for the "Military" diet, you will see this diet gets no approval from viewers. It is a vlcd and is not recommended here. And what is that 9.9 figure?

OP's from England, so probably 9.9 stone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For 3 days it won't hurt you, but if channel 4 had people on promoting it they are more embarrassing than Dr. Oz. It's a worthless fad diet based on false claims. I really don't understand why so many people come on to say they think it's so appealing, it's so obviously ridiculous.
  • shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would be careful as I don't trust "doctors" on tv. I can't stand Doctor Oz. I tried that 48 Hour Hollywood Diet and got extremely sick. I know it's different but it was a fad too. I don't want you to potentially harm your body for a couple of pounds. Honestly, I thought about it myself but I remembered slow & steady always win the race.
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I guess nobody can comment unless they have done this. I understand what you see on tv is not always right. I'm not doing this to loose 10lbs I have no hope to loose that much weight. I am not really on a weight loss journey it's more like a lesson I want to understand this diet more.
  • TouchofFruit
    TouchofFruit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    its only 3 days. if you are intrigued and want to see how it makes you feel then go for it.

• TouchofFruit
    TouchofFruit Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I actually did a "military diet" when I was in the military, does that count?

And it was absolutely nothing even close to what you are talking about. Most likely you'll end up really, really hungry at the end of 3 days and have learned nothing about how to lose weight.
    [/quote]
    ShareeEmma wrote: »
    I am not really on a weight loss journey
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your goals OP? To lose weight? How much? You said you are 9 st 9? So 135 lbs for the Americans responding? How tall are you?

You said you are trying to learn more about this diet - what the Military Diet is known for is being a very restrictive, seemingly random and not very healthy combination of foods (things like hot dogs, saltines and ice cream) that creates a very low calorie number for a period of a few days and then goes back to eating a large amount of calories on other days. If you are truly interested in learning about long term, sustainable weight loss and overall health and nutrition - a short term "named" diet which gives you lists of specific foods to eat and/or avoid is usually not the way to go. These approaches do very little for teaching you how to build a healthy diet (noun) and achieve your weight goals (whether that be to lose, maintain, or for some, gain).

There is lots of great info on a number of topics related to weight loss, fitness, nutrition, and even things to avoid like woo based "detoxes and cleanses" in this post. I suggest you take some time to read some of these, rather than relying on what you saw on channel 4. Which for future reference, isn't really helpful as a reference point since most of us aren't in the same town, or even the same country as you, so we have no idea what programming you were watching and whether that is a credible source of information or not.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ShareeEmma wrote: »
    I guess nobody can comment unless they have done this. I understand what you see on tv is not always right. I'm not doing this to loose 10lbs I have no hope to loose that much weight. I am not really on a weight loss journey it's more like a lesson I want to understand this diet more.

You want to understand more about hot dogs, bananas and ice cream? Go for it I guess. I wouldn't waste time asking around about a fad diet on a calorie counting site. Most people here are pretty much CICO first and nutritional profile/Macro second, with some 80/20 sprinkled in for good measure. There's really not much nutritional merit to this diet. If you want to try IF why not just try that without the arbitrary restrictions?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Looks like that Channel 4 show is having people do all sorts of ridiculous fad diets that are supposed to be popular in the UK, in some cases because celebrities are into them: https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2526664/channel-4s-how-to-lose-weight-well-trials-gruelling-two-week-smoothie-and-bone-broth-diet-so-do-they-work/

I do always love this kind of thing, as it shows Americans aren't the only ones.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past for an event, really does slim you down, but it's a temporary fix. Day 3 gets super challenging though.