Cauliflower instead of potatoes

Options
I was looking through an old church cookbook of my mother's and was amused to come across a recipe for 'potatoless potato salad' which was just a basic potato salad recipe that used cauliflower instead of potatoes. The cookbook was published in 1964.

I guess the idea of substituting cauliflower isn't such a new thing after all. :smirk:

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    it's so not all its cracked up to be. not the same at all. BUT you can enjoy mashed cauliflower if you are not thinking it's going to taste like potato!
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Potatoes please
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    it's so not all its cracked up to be. not the same at all. BUT you can enjoy mashed cauliflower if you are not thinking it's going to taste like potato!

I like mashed cauliflower, but agree if you eat it expecting it to taste like potatoes you'll likely be disappointed.

IDK if I'd care for the salad. The recipe called for boiled cauliflower which is pretty bland. I might like if the cauliflower was roasted to a golden brown.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My wife can't eat potatoes and does some of the weirdest things with cauliflower, including mashing it like potatoes.

I like potatoes.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'd try it. I got turned on to mashed turnips and I now prefer them to mashed potatoes.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I love both cauliflower and potatoes, so I'd probably eat the potatoless potato salad anyway. I'd rather have my cauliflower baked with a little EVOO and salt and pepper though. Cauliflower fried rice is pretty darn good too if you're looking for a way to reduce calories on a Chinese recipe.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower. I make it with butter, parm cheese, chicken stock, salt pepper tastes like mashed potatoes to me. That's as far as i go with cauliflower. I need real potatoes for potato salad.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower AND potato stuffed potatoes skins.

Thank y'all I know what I'm making for dinner!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    When I was low carbing, I made cauliflower potato salad. Our family recipe for potato salad was pretty much potatoes with celery, onion, chopped hard boiled egg, and crumbled bacon with mayo. Between the flavor of the bacon and the texture of the egg whites, it was... okay. It worked for a craving. Because bacon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A cold cauliflower salad sounds tasty actually.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Fauxtatoe salad is actually my favorite!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I laugh every time someone asks is riced cauliflower tastes like rice.

Well, no. It tastes like cauliflower. The shape of it doesn't change what it is.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'll make mashed cauli with an otherwise heavy meal to watch the cals but not under the impression it's gonna taste like potato. Of course if will taste good once you put butter and cream in it but that kinda defeats the point of the choice. I'd just eat potatoes if I had the calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

I laugh every time someone asks is riced cauliflower tastes like rice.

Well, no. It tastes like cauliflower. The shape of it doesn't change what it is.

It doesn't taste like rice at all. But it feels like rice in your mouth. It's tasty in its own right and I do enjoy it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love cauliflower but someone would have to pry potatoes from my cold deal fingers.
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,971 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy cauliflower "tots". Just as satisfying as tators!

http://gimmedelicious.com/2014/07/24/skinny-baked-cauliflower-tots/