Weight Loss 1200 cal, little to no exercise

Options
So I've heard that a 500 calorie deficit per day will equal about 1 lb of weight loss per week. Is that right? My question is this.... if I focus on my diet only and do the minimum of 1200 calories recommended by MFP, can I still lose weight? My resting metabolic rate was estimated to be about 1400-1450. I'm about 170 lbs, 5' 4" and work in an office. I've been having back issues and costochronditis (inflammation of the cartilidge in the rib case) so I haven't been wanting to exercise much or cause more pain. I know I could do some low impact exercises in my apartment or walk..

Anyways, I'm wondering if I need to be at a deficit to lose weight or does MFP calculate this already? Am I technically at approx 200-250 calorie deficit by only consuming 1200 calories? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to lose some weight through portion control and calorie counting and then plan to work out more once I have less weight to carry around. I do use a standing desk now, yay!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your deficit - so whatever it gives you as a goal is the amount you should eat to lose weight. 1200 is the absolute minimum calories for women. Most people can lose weight eating more than that. If you do any exercise you can eat those calories too (and should since you're eating so little already).
  • summyd01
    summyd01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ooh that's awesome, kerstenk141. I need to just stick with it then! I am not actually weighing myself but doing measurements and going by how my clothes fit. Your success is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
  • katelaurel390
    katelaurel390 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    summyd01 wrote: »
    So I've heard that a 500 calorie deficit per day will equal about 1 lb of weight loss per week. Is that right? My question is this.... if I focus on my diet only and do the minimum of 1200 calories recommended by MFP, can I still lose weight? My resting metabolic rate was estimated to be about 1400-1450. I'm about 170 lbs, 5' 4" and work in an office. I've been having back issues and costochronditis (inflammation of the cartilidge in the rib case) so I haven't been wanting to exercise much or cause more pain. I know I could do some low impact exercises in my apartment or walk..

Anyways, I'm wondering if I need to be at a deficit to lose weight or does MFP calculate this already? Am I technically at approx 200-250 calorie deficit by only consuming 1200 calories? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to lose some weight through portion control and calorie counting and then plan to work out more once I have less weight to carry around. I do use a standing desk now, yay!

If you're resting metabolic rate is estimated to be 1400-1450, you should at least be eating that much each day, regardless of whether you're exercising or not. That number is the amount you need just to fuel your body to function properly. Yes, 1200 is the minimum calories recommended, but realistically I don't think that it's a very healthy number. I think you can still lose weight if you eat the BMR amount of 1400. What will help is making healthy choices and making those calories count with nutritious food vs. junk food..and you'll see a difference soon enough. You can do it!!
  • summyd01
    Options
    Thank you for your tips and suggestions. I think I definitely need to add more veggies into my lunch and snacks. We have packaged protein/granola bars at the office and string cheese which I've been using as snacks. Ive also just been having turkey sandwiches for lunch which don't really fill me up. I don't want anything heavy for lunch but I don't want to be real hungry either. I eat good for dinner because my husband makes delicious and filling dinners like mushroom curry....which is mostly veggies and brown rice. I just don't like something that heavy for lunch.
  • summyd01
    Options
    So I changed my goals to maintain and it listed 1880 as my calorie intake. So if I select lose 1 lb a week it will do 1380. I had it set to lose 1.5 lbs a week, that's why it went down to 1200. I like to keep the low number so in case I go a little bit over, it won't lead to weight gain.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    So set you goal a min 1200 but allow yourself up to while your trying to lose 1400 based one the numbers you just posted, my min is 1200 max 1600 based on a combination of my MFP goal and my fitbit goal (fitbit usually give you more than MFP) . I do recomend adding 10mins yoga to your day to help keep your body healthy i work in an office too and sitting all the time is really bad for us
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am fairly inactive though I am trying to improve. I am at an office job too. I am eating 1200 calories a day and have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I eat a lot of veggies and drink at least 100 ounces a water a day. I had a salad for lunch today, greens with a little dressing and topped with cooked egg whites, ham, cheese and apple. It was low cal but had enough substance to keep me full. If you find yourself starving you are definitely doing something wrong and need to adjust your food or up your intake. No lifestyle change will stick if you are miserable.
  • girlwithanimpact
    girlwithanimpact Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just stumbled across this thread but I'm glad I did. Lots of good info here!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use my cals like a check book. I'm set to eat 1550, and usually do well with this number...but if I know I have a night out coming up on Saturday I will build in an additional deficit (usually 100 cals per day - so Monday thru Friday allows me to build up 500 additional cals that I can use at my event). Like wise.. if I end up off track early on in the week, I will cut myself down as needed through the remainder of the week in order to reach and end of the week average of 1550 per day. Hope that makes sense! and good luck!!
  • summyd01
    Options
    I'm so happy people are commenting on this thread! I am going to stick with the 1200 cals and not fret too much if I go a little over. I'm actually not weighing myself becase my scale needs a new battery plus it was really bad about giving inconsistent figures within minutes of each other. I'm going by how my clothes fit. Hoping to notice some real change within a couple months
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am set to eat 1200 calories. I use a good scale and try to be accurate. I also work out everyday and eat back majority of exercise clarifies which I get that estimate from my HRM. I like it this way because I usually end up eating about 1500 calories. I concentrate more on weekly calories.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". I started this app when I was 163. I'm slightly more active than you so I ate a little more but yeah, people poo poo 1200 calories but some of us have to dip a little lower. Even now, I eat 1200 calories a couple days out of the week because I sure as hell can't make it through the weekend on 1500. I need a couple maintenance days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JMO706 wrote: »
    I DID IT 101 LBS IN 8 MONTHS 1000-1200 CALORIES PER DAY PORTION CONTROL AND CUTTING OUT SWEETS AND DRINKING ONLY WATER AND MILK NO EXTRA EX3discqy1ujky.jpg
    ERCISE EITHER .vmo43q8jos2m.jpg

why did you eat so little? were you under a doctors care? a male is not supposed to eat so little calories. recommended male calories is 1500 and thats the bare minimum.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My resting metabolic rate was estimated to be about 1400-1450.

Mfp already calculates the deficit, but not from your RMR/BMR, but from your TDEE minus exercise or NEAT. Mfp is designed so that you add your exercise calories and eat a portion (1/3 to 1/2) of your cardio calories back.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So I changed my goals to maintain and it listed 1880 as my calorie intake. So if I select lose 1 lb a week it will do 1380. I had it set to lose 1.5 lbs a week, that's why it went down to 1200. I like to keep the low number so in case I go a little bit over, it won't lead to weight gain.

you wont gain unless you go over your maintenance calories. and if you do gain it could be water weight from that time of the month,excess sodium,waste still in your body,etc. weight loss is not linear.if you see your weight trending up for a period of time or your clothes stop fitting,then it can be an error in logging(using generic or wrong entries in mfp) youre over estimating any exercise calories and eating them back,or you are overestimating your calories if you dont use a food scale.If you do all those things and it goes up then its time to see a dr.