Should you weigh yourself everyday?

Options
Is it best to weigh daily weekly or monthly? I've been doing it everyday but I'm worried it's not the right thing to do.

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There's no right answer. Whatever motivates you to keep going is the right answer for you.

If you freak out when your weight fluctuates a pound or two when you're weighing daily, then it's not the right thing for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Whatever information level you prefer is right for you.
    I weighed once a week for most of the past 2 years. I've started weighing on Sunday and Wednesday recently. I don't want to weigh daily so I don't.
  • lorax429
    lorax429 Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like to use trendweight.com to get a good sense of how I am doing and with that site the more data you can give it the better the insight it can provide. For that reason I weigh in daily. The trend line also keeps me from being discouraged by the occasional jump on the scale because I can easily see how I am trending. Just do what works best for you though.
  • designedsilence
    designedsilence Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First answer was the only one you need to read. Just know that if you do weigh yourself daily you are going to see fluctuations but I do it daily because I want to understand how my body works.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The right thing to do is what works for you. If it stresses you out or causes anxiety or depression to weigh every day then it's the wrong thing to do. If you like seeing the daily fluctuations and keeping track of the numbers then it is the right thing to do. Only you know how it affects you and if you should continue or not.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to know your weight daily and I do. Its data points, so I weigh each morning when I wake. My Wi Fi scale logs it for me and over time I can choose how I want to see the data. week, month, 3 months or a year. I don't really get to invested in daily fluctuations but focus on the trends and what effects it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do BUT it doesn't upset me to see my weight fluxuiate.

I did question a 4 lb increase after ramping up my strength training a little but I know as long as I'm in a deficit I will lose, just not on my timeframe and not in a straight line down.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    lorax429 wrote: »
    I like to use trendweight.com to get a good sense of how I am doing and with that site the more data you can give it the better the insight it can provide. For that reason I weigh in daily. The trend line also keeps me from being discouraged by the occasional jump on the scale because I can easily see how I am trending. Just do what works best for you though.

Me too.
  • angelhrt68
    angelhrt68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have the time then do it everyday. It's up to you.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    lorax429 wrote: »
    I like to use trendweight.com

Trendweight says to use a WiFi Scale, which I don't have. Does it allow manual entries? If not, what other sites do people use? I use Calorie Count but it is just a simple line graph.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    As others have said there's no "right". Figure out what works for you. I weigh daily but I love numbers and data and I fully accept that sometimes my weight will go up even if I've done everything right while other times I'll have a terrible eating day and wake up to a loss the next morning. I track using an averaging spreadsheet not MFP. I only enter it in here weekly (because I'm lazy).

In fact sometimes I weigh more than once a day. If I feel like I really need to poo I sometimes like to weigh myself right before and then afterwards in the name of science. But that might just be me (and my husband... he does the same even though he's skinny).

But I know other people for whom weighing is all sorts of triggering and so they need to be much more careful.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use happy scales and it has a manual entry option.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I weigh a few times a day because my weight dips fast when im dehydrated so if its dipping i drink water. Not really a right or wrong though. Unless the dipping motivated me to not drink or eat anything...then itd be bad XD
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I find I get horribly obsessed if I weigh every day. I like to weigh once or possibly twice a week. I've been here a while and find that often people who weigh daily get freaked out thinking they gained three pounds of fat in one day when really, it's usually sodium. I feel like once a week gives a good snapshot of overall progress. That's just me!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I use happy scales and it has a manual entry option.

Thanks!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing along w/daily logging is best because that's the only way you can accurately track the correlation between your wreght and what you eat.

If you don't agree or don't think that you need to do this, then just do whatever want you want to do. Just realize that, as time passes, you may be lacking data to make an accurate assessment of your progress or lack of it.
  • Dia_DoesThis
    Dia_DoesThis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say no because you don't wanna disappoint yourself, the scale really doesn't mean anything. I would say once the first of the month and once the end. 2 people can weigh the same weigh but look totally different physically
  • CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    Options
    I used to do that, weigh myself everyday.
    I guess when you're fat (like I was ) your whole life and then so suddenly loose all the weight- your brain is just scared you'll wake up fat again. :(
    But I kicked that habit and now I stick to whenever my trainer weighs me, every 4weeks.