Frustrated with new scales

Options
So I have some salter scales that are not digital. I like these scales but you have to lose quite a bit 2lds to see the needle going down and this can become quite disheartening. So I decided to buy some digital scales so I could at least see small changes. Well they arrived and I am getting different readings depending on where I place it! We have Lino wood effect flooring throughout our bungalow and on the Lino it put me 7 lbs heavier than the non digital slater scales. On my bedroom rug I get the same reading as the non dig scales and on the other rug in the front room I get 4 lbs heavier than the other scales. As a last resort I went outside and put them on concrete and that came up 8lbs heavier than the non digital scales. Now I do not believe these heavier weighing as my original salter scale the same no matter where I put it so I am wondering what is wrong? Anyone else come across this problem? I have the ultimate accuracy slater digital scale

Replies

• LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Weigh a gallon of water (or hand weights if you have them) on both scales to see if they show a measurable difference
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Scales can be calibrated differently, I can weigh a couple of kg different between home and my doctors or my parents house. Consistency on the same set of scales is important, not the difference between scales. How long since your manual scales were calibrated?

Also, ensure that your scales are on a solid surface like the lino rather than a rug. Scales rely on compression of springs etc within the device - putting on a soft surface can distort the measurement. If Im reading you correctly, there was only 1lb difference between the lino and the concrete? Seems legit...
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sanfly wrote: »
    Scales can be calibrated differently, I can weigh a couple of kg different between home and my doctors or my parents house. Consistency on the same set of scales is important, not the difference between scales. How long since your manual scales were calibrated?

Also, ensure that your scales are on a solid surface like the lino rather than a rug. Scales rely on compression of springs etc within the device - putting on a soft surface can distort the measurement. If Im reading you correctly, there was only 1lb difference between the lino and the concrete? Seems legit...

Do you calibrate manual scales by sliding the pin to the zero? If so that has been done recently.

• thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Weigh a gallon of water (or hand weights if you have them) on both scales to see if they show a measurable difference

Thank you for this... we have just done a little experiment and the new dig scales are out! I filled a container with water that was equal to 5 kegs spot on and then weighed on the manual one. It was correct. I then weighed on the new dig one and it showed in kegs that it was 4.55 kg and then in lbs and it weighed that it was 10 3/4 lbs....
    I think I will send the scales back and just stick with my good ole manual ones and just be a bit more patient.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    sanfly wrote: »

Do you calibrate manual scales by sliding the pin to the zero? If so that has been done recently.

No, they need to be calibrated with weights of a known/standard mass.

Sorry, not familar with your reference weight in your experiment - 5 kegs?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was always taught that scales needed to be on a hard surface and not carpet
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    But some weights on the scale, don't ever use a scale on a carpeted surface you will never get an accurate reading. You could even put an unopened bag of sugar on it , if you don't lift weights.