Hello from a Traveler!

Options
Spingirl76
Spingirl76 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! I've been on my fitness journey for about 2 weeks and I wanted to introduce myself. Last year was challenging and I gained some weight that needs to go!

I leave for my first business trip this year in a few days. I'm nervous because it's difficult for me to maintain healthy routines when I can't control my environment. I've booked my hotel based on the gym and I purchased some nuts and healthy snacks to take with me. Any other tips or thoughts on this subject?

I'm excited to be here and thanks for taking the time to read.

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One advantage to work travel is that you don't have access to your usual snacks or other trouble spots. So I would eat a healthy breakfast, small lunch and small and healthy lunch. I could actually eat less while on the road than at home, where I tend to look in cabinets and drawers for snacks even if I'm not hungry!
  • axc985
    axc985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think if you think about hoed you feel when you got home- that'd help. It easier to slip while away-- but just remembering why you're trying to stick to your plan can be motivating.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    If the hotel has a mini-fridge/microwave, find a grocery...pick up fruits, veg, yogurt, stuff you can eat there. Most of my travel for work is by car so I just take a small cooler with what I want to/can eat, some plastic utensils, a microwave bowl and/or shelf stable stuff (I like Uncle Ben's Ready to Eat Rice and anything from Kitchens of India...eat half, put the other half in the fridge for lunch/dinner).

Harder on a plane, but possible. I found a company that sells boxed, shelf stable food with an eye toward healthy...GoPicnic. When I flew to Colorado a while back, the hotel had a shuttle that would take you to restaurants, shops, etc...I had them take me to a grocery and picked up GoPicnic for lunch. Not super awesome but tasty enough and convenient. Calorie ranges between 200 and 400, depending on what you get. And there are some hummus/cracker or veggie options at some stores (separate from gopicnic). I also tend to pick up some of the new single serving whole grain oatmeal cups...a little pricey for breakfast everyday, but great if I'm away from home!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Also, Welcome! I've been here 160 days (today!) and as long as you stick with it...you can reach your goals!