Early morning workout before breakfast - good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• David988
    David988 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    when I eat first, then work out.. I'm lazy, I can feel the food is hopping around when I'm running :l
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Personally I think all meal timing is something that -- if it makes sense at all -- it makes more sense for elite athletes who are likely to notice a very small % change in efficiency or recovery. That's not most of us. Working out fasted will not do you harm in any case.

Do what feels good to you. For myself, I prefer to do non-cardio and light workouts fasted; for a harder workout and for cardio I need a little something but not much: 2 or 3 dates or half a banana is plenty. Working out with a recent meal inside me feels GROSS. That's me. You do you.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely before breakfast, i don't know anyone who can run after a meal.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Personally, in the past when I did morning walks, I made that the very first thing I would do. I definitely felt much more energized than if I would have ate first, which seems to slow me down. But every person is different - do what makes you feel the best! :)
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just started doing that last year- I get up at 4:30 and go to the gym by 5- home at 6:15 then get my son up for school and we are out the door by 7:30. I have found that as long as I make this my plan the night BEFORE and lay out my gym clothes and gym bag so everything is ready then it goes much easier. Because when you wake up sleepy its easy to talk yourself out of going. Make up your mind the night before and then just go like a robot. I usually wake up when i am on the exercise bike. I feel so much better during the day when i manage to do this. And when i get off work at 5 sometimes i will go back to gym and do some weights or i just stay home and chill because i worked out already. Its a great feeling when you feel productive!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have to run on an empty stomach or else whatever I've eaten would come right back up. I always run on just a glass or two of water, first thing in the morning. You have plenty of glycogen stored to work out early in the morning without eating.

It's all down to personal preference. OP, give it a try and see what works best for you.

I'm like this with any intense exercise. If I eat before, I need at least 2 hours after before I can workout. So if I'm doing an early workout, I'm better off just having some water/tea, then eat after.

OP, do what works for you. Unless you are doing endurance sports or you are an elite athlete, it really won't matter.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've always done my early morning workouts (running, circuits) without eating beforehand. If I eat before, I feel sick. Others in the classes I've done have learned the hard way not to eat before a heavy workout (by vomiting halfway through the class...).

If you eat just after and load your carbs and protein, you should be fine. If you find it's making you feel faint or unwell not to eat beforehand, have something small, like a few nuts or a banana.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am an early morning workout person. If I don't get it in first thing in the morning, I most likely won't be able to squeeze it in any other part of the day. I do not eat before and have no problems with energy or being hungry. Most days I am working out from 5-6AM and don't end up eating my breakfast until I get to work around 8. Hasn't caused me any issues.