Rowing My Way To Leanness

Options
Just bought myself a rowing machine from Sears. I plan to row Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Weights (barbells, 5lbs) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sit ups every day. Anybody think this is good or is there some other thing I should be aware of? thanks for your help

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds good overall.
    Follow a proven strength program for best results. New Rules of Lifting for Life is a good one for your age group.
    I think most trainers would recommend skipping the situps, or replacing them with planks. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How's your calorie deficit?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 5lb Dumbbells? If so, that part may be a waste of time. Unless that is challenging for you.
    I would suggest a structured program for strength training.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It's always great to bump into a fellow rower on MFP! To get the most out of rowing, technique is very important. And like any other physical activity, proper technique can prevent injury. If you haven't already done so, check out the technique videos on Concept2's website. Also, the Dark Horse Rowing channel on YouTube has a technique/how to playlist which is quite good, IMO.

As for plans, I'm following The Pete Plan For Beginners, which is a 24 week plan that progressively increases both your distance and speed from week to week. I like it because it incorporates a good mix of steady state and interval training into each week's workouts, which helps with the boredom.

Finally, there are a couple of rowing groups on MFP, but they're not very active. There's also a fairly recent indoor rowing thread from a few weeks ago, which has some good info in it. Head on over and say hello!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10491176/indoor-rowers/p1