Veggies for Breakfast? Tell me how!

Options
I'm ready for the next big challenge in adopting new habits. If you eat veggies for breakfast, do you have tips for the beginner? Should I have cooked veggies on hand and scramble with egg? That will work once in a while but not every day. Can anyone coach me on this? Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat raw vegetables for every meal unless I have cooked vegetables. I rotate between broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrot, rutabaga, beets, sometimes lettuce, or if available, kohlrabi or romanesco. I just cut it into sticks/florets and weigh out approx 80 grams.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like having veggies for breakfast. I can't coach on it because I usually eat either mesclun with a light vinaigrette as a side or add spinach to scrambled eggs. Alternatively, I have carrots and hummus as a mid-morning snack.

Definitely interested to hear how others integrate veggies for breakfast.
  • raeannmoss7861
    raeannmoss7861 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love lots of sauteed zucchini with scrambled egg or egg whites. I'll usually add some feta or another flavorful protein (leftover chicken breast, lower fat sausages, turkey bacon). This same idea works great with broccoli or spinach. Sometimes I'll add tomato as well.

Sauteed brussel sprouts with soaked chia and brown rice is also great.

I do a lot of experimenting with different flavors and try not to stick to all traditional breakfasts when incorporating veggies.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have steamed spinach and mushrooms with egg whites. I do 3 oz of raw spinach + 3 oz raw mushrooms then steam it. I then add two egg whites to it and cook until the whites are set. I put a dab of salsa on it. Delish!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen riced cauliflower, microwave it and add to scrambled eggs then add cajun seasoning and shredded cheddar or pepper jack. It's amazing!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just spent some time cleaning and prepping a variety of veggies.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Having them ready to go is key for me. It's challenging to break the notions I've held so long about breakfast foods, and eating raw veggies in the morning will definitely be a new experience for me. But that's okay. I'm willing to try it, just as I was willing to try plain Greek yogurt with walnuts and cinnamon last month. It's now my favorite, so there's hope for raw veggies too:)
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lately, I roast 1-2 butternut squashes for the week. I usually eat about 150g for breakfast with sausage or eggs depending on the day. The squash adds a nice sweetness to the balance the savory.
  • SalvationMountain41
    SalvationMountain41 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are a great way to get your veggies in the morning. I make something called Green Milk for my son. Ingredients : 1 frozen banana (peel and cut in half before freezing), 2 handfuls of steamed spinach, 1/2 cup coconut water, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk. It's so yum!
  • lythia77
    lythia77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos can be prepped and made ahead of time (stored in freezer or fridge) with veggies cooked into the mix. Also, never tried it myself but what about a cauliflower crust breakfast pizza?
  • karleeggarner
    karleeggarner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas! I could use variety at well - I'm generally just eggs with bell peppers either in a burrito form or just on a plate with cheese.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I like vegetables with cottage cheese for breakfast. Some of my favorites are broccoli, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, and pumpkin.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If I have veggies for breakfast, they're usually in my omelette. I'm generally more inclined to have one of my servings of fruit at breakfast than I am veggies....but I also drink a low sodium V8 with breakfast pretty much every day.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I often will sauté some peppers and onions (I buy them frozen for ease, though I have them raw, as well) and spinach and will add them to wraps, toast, whatever. I don't typically eat eggs, so a standard for me is a some beans, sautéed pepper, onions, and spinach, maybe some avo, and maybe some salsa in a wrap or on some toast.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Frozen spinach is very convenient and easy to throw in your eggs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always have vegetables with breakfast, and eat them in a vary of ways -- sometimes I just have leftover dinner, after all. But the most breakfast-like/common is a vegetable omelet (I generally have at least two kind of veg) or something like bacon, eggs over easy, and roasted or sauteed vegetables -- I like the yolk and veg together. I also like a variety of green smoothies and savory oatmeal, which I do most commonly with oats, roasted cauliflower or broccoli (chopped pretty small), and on egg over easy mixed in.

Superfast breakfast for me is veg raw, piece of fruit, and plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • lizzymcg
    lizzymcg Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a challenging time transitioning from a "typical" breakfast or no breakfast to including veggies for breakfast. I prefer my breakfast veggies to be cooked. My recent favorites being sautéed greens and mushrooms and making a frittata with egg whites and feta cheese. I also love sautéed greens, sweet potatoes, onions, and , mushrooms paired with some protein.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a bowl of chicken veggie soup. It's mostly veg, really filling, and low cal.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Chickpea flour "omelette" with peppers, onions, maybe mushrooms on a relaxing morning, banana-spinach-mango-cashew milk smoothie on a faster-paced morning, avocado or guacamole on toast when I'm in a hurry.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Savory oats. Oatmeal doesn't have to be all sweet and fruity. I have mine with leftover or frozen veggies (very quick and easy) and a little salsa, cheese if I want the extra protein, or who am I kidding, if I just want cheese. Works well with pretty much everything: spinach (or arugula or chard or kale or ...), brussels sprouts, broccoli, bell pepper, onions, winter squash, summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant ....