Exercise Database question and a hello greeting

Options
Hi, I am new to myfitnesspal. I have a question about the exercise database listings: I have been digging trenches this past week and expect to continue for another 30 days or so(weather permitting); however, I am unable to locate digging, trenching, and shoveling in the exercise database; moreover, I did locate gardening (general), which is not the same: I selected gardening because it is the only option for what I am doing... Did I miss a category or should I just continue to use gardening category for what I am doing. For the record, I am a computer science (D.CS-EM) professional by trade, and am removing by hand 6 trees + roots and I have already cut down and corded the tree wood, now just removing stumps and roots so my question is... "How does one classify the exercise I am performing in the exercise category"?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    In the Compendium of Physical Activities, Digging ranges from 3.5 (gardening) to 8 (vigorous) METs.

The name of an activity is not the important part for estimating Calories burned per minute of activity.

The important part is the metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs) that provides an estimate for Calories burned per minute, which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual based on your level of intensity. MFP generally uses the 2011 METs values - which are published values based on research to support those values - compiled in the Compendium of Physical Activities.

You could search for aerobics or dancing and log it as one of the pre-loaded exercises, based on your level of intensity.

METs - Activity
    4.0 - Water aerobics, water calisthenics
    4.5 - Dancing, general
    4.8 - Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist
    5.0 - Aerobics, low impact
    5.5 - Dancing, ballroom, fast
    6.0 - Teaching aerobics class
    6.5 - Aerobics, general
    7.0 - Aerobics, high impact
    8.5 - Aerobics, step, with 6-8 inch step
    10.0 - Aerobics, step, with 10-12 inch step