Extremely sore

Options
So I just got back into exercising I was in a car accident about 4 months ago and was on bed rest for 3. So I'm not use to moving again yet. Yesterday I started out doing 4 miles I ran one and walked three, despite being so sore I got up and I pushed myself to go exercise again but I was only able to walk 3 miles without any running. Now I'm so sore it's hard to walk any suggestions?

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Give it another week of rest and start slowly. You just got off bed rest a month ago. Give your body a chance to recover and rebuild.
  • Joshuakilgore
    Joshuakilgore Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Too much too soon. Take a couple days off. Alternate ice and heat.

Next time you jump up, gradually increase using a program like C25K. Don't forget to stretch after your runs either.

I want to push through and just keep going everyday. Could I possibly damage my body if I continue everyday? If it's just the annoyance of being sore I'm just going to push through the pain.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Take today off ... then tomorrow go for a short walk (1 mile). The next day, try that short walk again. If you're still quite sore, take another day off. Then try that short walk again. The next day, try 2 miles.

Gradually build up.

Yes, you can do damage pushing too hard too soon.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you push through pain, you'll end up on bedrest again.

Go slow. Start with walking or something like C25K. You might find that you can advance through the program more quickly than they recommend, but trying to jump back in to running 5 miles after being very immobile for months is just asking for injuries.

~Lyssa
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your injuries were but you should be very careful not to reinjure yourself. Has your doctor approved any and all exercise?