Do you depend more on measurements or the scale?

Options
Who has had more luck with one than the other?

Replies

• JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've given up on both lately and depend on the mirror instead :tongue:

I was a nut about the scale in the beginning, when I got closer to goal, I depended more on measurements, now that im closer again im paying more attention to my strength and progress and just measuring and weighing myself less often
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    For me, scale is fun and mirror is progress. I just like seeing the weight go up and down on the scale, whatever it says. It's like a minigame for life.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Measurements. My current photo only has a 2 pound difference. I have lost over 10 inches though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm just maintaining now, but when I was losing I used both to track trends...I still use both as I wouldn't mind knocking off a couple more BF points, but I'm also training so I pretty much eat if I'm feeling tired or hungry to make sure I can perform optimally in my training...but anyway, probably do both. When I started lifting it became more important to take measurements and use my calipers as water weight masked a lot of my scale weight loss.

I currently weigh about 180ish @ 20% BF (I fluctuate between 180 - 183)...when I take a rest week I'm usually around 175-178 when I drop the water that my muscles don't need at rest.
  • MrsKerryParkin
    MrsKerryParkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Still looking at scales for me and then once I've reached my goal I will start on the measurements.

I have made measurements at the start and will record them once a month for now but the scales are my guide at the minute
    :smile:
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and find motivation with each lb down, but the weight loss is slow. Been here since the end of May and am only down 9.5 lbs. But my clothes are getting loose, so that's more exciting. Yesterday I put on a pair of jean shorts I bought last month and with a little tug they fell down to my ankles while still being zipped. Turns out I've lost 5 inches around my naval. Wasn't expecting that my mediocre weight loss. So always check measurements if the scale is bumming you out.
  • SymphonyTea
    Options
    I will be using the scale & measurements equally, but I won't let them define my success as their purpose is for tracking & showing me some numbers. A true testament to my weight loss will be the day I can get back into what used to me my baggy jeans, that I now can't get over my thighs.

Getting on the scale 7/8/13 & seeing that number was just the slap in the face I needed (they say the truth hurts & they were right). So ever since 7/8/13, I've been on the watch what I eat & exercise (I refuse to say diet) wagon. I'll be doing the following every Monday:
    *getting on the scale
    *taking my measurements
    *trying to get into the those jeans (& I know one of these days they'll slide right on)

Keep Rockin' & Rollin' Everyone!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can drop pounds and not inches...but if you drop inches, who cares! Actually I find that if I'm dropping inches and not weight I tend to start looking a lot firmer then the alternative.

That being said I'm a obsessive weigher, it just doesn't bother me if I gain or lose, it's more of an interest.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I want to look amazing, feel fabulous and be very fit. All of those things are in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. They will never match up with any number so I do not have number goals. I do not have a goal weight or size.

The scale just measures total weight. I really don't care about my weight. I realize that if I reach my fitness goals my weight will be a bit higher because I'll have increased my already pretty nice muscle mass. Kind of high weight, small well-muscled body = best possible results.

So...I do weigh but the scale is just a tool. It tells me more about what causes weight retention & that I need to get more sleep. I've become pretty good at reading those things when I weigh. While the scale usually (not alway) shows a ownward trend over time I don't really use it as a method of judging progress.

I do love to see inches melt away because that is proof of fat-loss. I suppose I rely more on inches lost to show that what I am doing is working. I measure once a month (and in-between if I am clothes shopping because I'm shrinking fast). The way clothes fit also tells a story.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use to live or die by the scale through out the biggest part of my weight loss but last fall right after my circumferential body lift I decided to go into maintenance and the emphasis became less about the scale and more about body composition so I only step on the scale once a month. I go more by how my clothes feel these days... Best of Luck
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the numbers go down on the scale. That's a daily (well...some days) thing I have to look forward to. The tape measure moves a whooooole lot slower for me.
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be 'scale focused' but find that this time around, I am less concerned with what the scale says. I've only weighed myself once in the past month. I'm more focused on what my measurements are and more importantly, how I feel after each workout. As silly as it sounds, I feel accomplished just by getting my shoes on and making it to the gym. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    scales lie.

the third notch on a belt is truth.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    i like my scale telling me im losing weight, but losing inches is what makes me look better . so I say I have better luck in inches right now
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Scale has always been king in the past and was the only tool I used.

But in the last few months have really been keeping track of inches and BF%, now a bit more important to me than the scale.
    Using all three tools is great, gives me an all around look at my progress.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Both, but more importantly body fat %.
  • cyremarie
    cyremarie Posts: 3
    Options
    I have used both as well as other factors to include Fat % and BMI etc. When I began my weight loss journey at 254 the scale was my best friend, once I got to around 165lbs I still looked at the scale but began to rely heavily on measurments especially because now the scale isn't so giving lol.

Good Luck
  • debbiepetkus
    debbiepetkus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to rely on the scale. The first month of working out, I gained 1/2 pound and got real frustrated. The second month I only lost 4 pounds. This month I've only lost 2. I almost quit altogether! I felt I wasn't making any progress!! I measured myself and found that I lost 14 inches in those 3 months! I still weigh myself every day, but don't rely on those numbers too much any more.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually use the scale as the leading indicator with the tape measure being the lagging.
  • sphinxagain
    Options
    right now? scale. I think I just don't know how to measure myself though. Because I've lost 20 pounds in the last several months, and not lost one single inch around my waist. Yet my clothes are getting too big. Sooo, go with what motivates you. *shrug*