Does anyone go to the gym alone?

Options
I bought my friend a gym membership because we both wanted to lose weight now...she's backing out of going to the gym...and doesn't really want to go anymore so I have to go alone from now on...how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well

Replies

• dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hire a trainer. A great way to get accustomed to the gym and get good instruction on correct way to exercise as well as get tips and maybe good advice on nutrition (not all trainers know nutrition well though). When your friend sees results she may get back in and then you and her can work out with the trainer together.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I can't afford one sadly
  • dniania
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Yes! I like going when I want to go and not relying on someone who might flake out on me!

Does your gym offer group classes? Those can be motivating.

My gym doesn't offer group classes! But that fact that I have to go alone upsets me but I have goals and I'm trying not to let it set me back
  • dniania
    Options
    That was a nice gift (I wish someone would buy ME a gym membership!), but I think that was a false hope; when you don't invest your own money in something like that, there's really no down side to backing out. Sorry that happened after such good intentions.

That being said, I have a Sunday gym buddy, and I really like that, but go the rest of the week on my own. That way I can go when I want to and stay as long as I want. Usually, when I lift weights, I'm doing my own thing anyway (really not a great time to chat with a friend), and when I do cardio, I have my ear buds in and listening to tunes...the only way I can stand the machines.

Join a class, find a friend that's already a gym member, make a new friend...go yourself...it's all good. In the long run, it's going to be up to you anyway right. Might as well build your habits when you can!

Thanks nicely put! I just wanted someone to have so I wouldn't be bored lol. I'm not going to let it stop me though
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This might not help, but it is personal experience. I go to the gym alone. Sometimes it is boring, sometimes it gives me an opportunity to think and decompress. Sometimes watch Netflix on my phone or listen to Pandora. At the end of the day you are going to the gym for yourself and therefore have to be accountable to the same, for better or worse.

ETA: Whatever happens, good luck :smile:
  • dniania
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Just remember every one there is generally there to better themselves and reach goals just like you! I find the gym to be a very positive place!

Yep your right
  • dniania
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I go alone. Honestly, I wouldn't have anyone to go with, but my schedule is erratic so I don't go at the same time each day. I do my own thing and I also take classes. I've met a lot of nice people and they make it fun to go to, especially for those 5:45AM classes. There are three a week that I like and it's the same core group. It's fun to meet people with similar ideas and goals, most of the people in my life, like the coworkers, think getting up early is crazy.

I also find doing my own thing is great, I plug in the earbuds and get it done. It's a great escape. I'm working on my weight and my health for me and can't rely on anyone to put as much importance in it as I do.

Thanks for the motivation/push!! I needed that
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I realize for me the only way to hold myself accountable is to go alone. Going with someone is nice, but I've learned from the past eventually that will fall through and I have to be able to go alone.

The first few times were weird, but eventually going to the gym just felt like going to work or home. It's a part of my routine now.

I don't get bored, but I'm working out at moderate intensity. Usually, I listen to music the entire time or if I'm doing steady cardio I will watch whatever show is on the gym tv. I find I'm too distracted to watch any of my shows on Netflix that I actually care about.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I always go alone. In fact I have never thought of going with someone.
    I just go, do my weights, and leave. I am not good at socializing and working out.

Cheers, h.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm all about gym-ing alone. there are people i 'know' once i get there, but i'd hate having to do it with someone i know.

i like the privacy of not having any rl people involved in my gym existence. i don't 'have to' do anything, that way. i guess i like working out on my own recognizance best.
    dniania wrote: »
    how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well

i would say go, and see if going doesn't expand your social circle a bit. i belong to a group here and have a cluster of 'friends' who are most of what i need as far as people to co-motivate and talk to about the whole thing. one of the reasons why i'm happier not having real-life 'buddies' is because with my real life friends, there's no guarantee we'll both end up equally into it. i've already got the reasons why i'm friends with those people, and sure it's shared interest. but a shared interest in non-gym stuff really doesn't guarantee you're going to share that one too. i don't think you 'need' your friend with you as much as it might seem to you.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I prefer by myself most times. Get it done and get outta there
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I always go alone. Don't let someone else's decisions drag you down. Put on your big girl panties and get to the gym!
  • kelssskay
    kelssskay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I only go alone. I find it meditative.